1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

design and tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nlminc, Dec 26, 2006.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Anyone using one for sales with design work? Are they durable enough to take out and about all the time? I'm looking into buying one and usuing it with the Pro-Landscape software.
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i don't use a tablet but screen size would be a big factor for me. I run pro landscape on my laptop with a 15" screen & i wish i had a bigger monitor.
    i also use horticopia in conjunction with pro landscape so i need lots of power & memory.
  3. nlminc

from GA

I was looking at the tablets with 12" and 14" monitors. Also for memory, min of 1024MB. The Toshiba (14"monitior) and Leveno(12"monitor) seem to be the only ones with hard drive protection for less than 2k. I don't want something that's to heavy to carry around.
  4. nlminc

from GA

What cd are you using from Horticopia?
  5. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

i have HORTICOPIA® Professional XE
    Love it for what i can provide my customers as well as increasing my knowedge of plant materials.

I paid under $1500 for a Dell laptop earlier this year & it does everything i could ask. it's light weight & has a 15'' screen. I rarely use my pc anymore because this is so versitile.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I just paid $650 shipped for my Dell Inspiron 6400 with 1GB memory and new upgraded screen. For the "tough books" etc you're gonna dish out some cash. I could buy 3 or more of mine for one of those depending which you go with.

Its a laptop, think about it. You're not gonna be tossing it around just becuase it is a "tough book" etc.........I would recommend going my route.

I also spent $420 for Quickbooks. Having it on my laptop is nice because I don't have to be stuck in one place to deal with it.

* * * * * * You can get Quickbooks for a lot less through Dell when you order than Best Buy (where I got mine). Quickbooks is a fixed price product but somehow Dell has it cheaper.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent around 1200 last feb. when i bought pro landscape and horticopa on a dell lap top 15" screen. It does a good job
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you want to use it for sales?

I'd rather go with a hard copy album of before and after photos for just sales.

Or are you trying to play around with designs, toying around with pictures at various homes?
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I could have sworn I paid $200 or so for my quickbooks pro 2006 last summer at Staples... did you get a fancy or newer one?
  10. nlminc

from GA

I was thinking in the sales aspect it would be nice when you are walking around the property to be able to show the customer photos from Horticopia and where the plants will go. Also for drawing sketches and taking notes.
    On the Pro landscapes demo dvd it shows the salesman doing just this.