Separate names with a comma.
Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .
Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dstosh, Feb 14, 2007.
Here is a quick design I worked up. Looking for some feedback.
What program are you using? I can't read the plant list.
Pretty basic. How far off the ground are the windows. The mature height of those plants might be a little low unless the windows are really close to the ground.
Don't love the wichita blues flanking the front door. They get a little ratty looking after a few years.
Do you have to walk through the bed to gain access to the house?
Niether can I.
What program are you using for the design work?
The program is Pro Landscape. If you were to zoom in on the plant list it would be clear, that is just how it is when you are zoomed out. I realize it is pretty basic and there will be some perennials in there also. The The Windows are right at the roofline. The front door isn't used at all.
It looks like:
Euonymus "Emerald n' Gold
Boxwood of some sort
Wichita Blue Juniper .....but I'm not sure.
I don't usually like critiquing other people's designs on websites, but you look like you are seriously looking for input. I won't nit-pic your style, but will make some basic points.
Judging by the width of the door drawn on the house, it looks to be a house of over 40' long. The planting is rather sparse for that sized house. The plants that should be doing the most visual work are spread out too thin and the support plants are grouped too heavily in comparison. You did OK on the left side by using the Crab, but on the right side your planting has really fallen off with the euonymus. You would do well to have a little more meat on the corners (not necessarilly vertical) and a little less vertical in the middle of the house (junipers).
One way (of a lot of ways) might be to leave your junipers, but counter act them with a heavier taller form on the ends of the house. You could then group your boxwoods, in triangles of three, toward the middle of the space between the junipers and those plants at the corners of the house (two in the back, one in the front). Then you could put some other large shrub in the open spaces between the junipers and boxwoods and again between the boxwoods and end plant (slightly forward). You should concentrate on what the plants do to affect the look of the house rather than how thaey act just as plants. You don't have to be symetrical, that is a matter of your taste and your clients as is what exact plants you use.
I think you will find that if you use plant symbols about the size of the plants will be maintained at, the actual planting will look as comfortable or as awkward as they do in the plan. You should also adjust your planting beds to fit the planting rather than making the planting fit your bed shape. I should have shrunk up the wichita blue - it is out of scale.
I did a really cheesy sketch on one half of your plan to illustrate this on the windows paint program. Sorry about the shaky bed line, I have a track ball mouse.
Thanks for your Input. I understand what you are saying. The house is 70'+ long. I like what you worked up. You are correct on the plant list. I Have yet to become extremely fluent in PL, so I havent figured out how to resize the symbols. From what the plants represent in the program I beleive is pretty close to the size they get, the rule of thumb I use when hand drawing is 2/3 the mature size.IE- 3' Mature= 2' Rendered, that is what we learned in class.
Here is the deal. I did this design in my first semmester of LS Design at college. The house as of now has a 5' high Taxus hedge flanking either side of the door. The house was for sale, and they wanted a way to give it a little cost effective curb appeal.Long story short, it didnt end up selling. I contacted the home owner and she said she would like a quote for us to install it. I figured I would work it up and tweak it a bit from the original design.
The original design, I had planned on trimming the taxus hedge down to 3 ft at the door and then retain its original height at the end of the house. and Placing the upright Junipers on the sides of the door to emphazise the door. There was also going to be a flagstone path leading up to the door starting at the east of the bed(assume north is the top, it isn't really, but it'll work for descriptive purposes). The drive way is at least 30 ft from the edge of the bed, so you would have to cross 30 ft of lawn to get to the path to get to the door that no one uses. What it boils down to is that no one uses the door but to at least make it look accessable.
Here is the original Plan View: