Design gurus, a lil help???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KrayzKajun, Mar 4, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Ok so i had a change of ideas for the design. Thought about doin a backdrop row of little gem magnolias to accent the large oaks in the very back. With a row of pampas grass in front the magnolias to draw the eye upwards and do alternating flax lilly, bicolor iris down the sides.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. KrayzKajun

Anyone else wanna comment?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KrayzKajun

My design i did to show the school director 2morrow.
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, you are asking for this to be high maintenance, and detracting from the "space".
    You are hedging it in too close, people will be walking thru the landscape, breaking them, dragging mulch or whatever all over, and you are not allowing much room for people to maneuver

5. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

i think for what the memorial is, a confined area is better than a big open area. Especially with pretty much being in a field of grass. I would expand it a little bit around the existing pathway, and maybe add a 1-2 foot perimeter or 1-2" rock.

Also, a design critque on your proposal. Always write your labels and titles in all caps. With the first letter of the name a slightly larger cap. Its really a professional architectural way of putting together a proposal drawing and looks much better.

6. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have pictures of the finished product?

7. KrayzKajun

The school put the project on hold.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

What do you think about using 3 gal boxwood to give it a fully look as well? But overall that's a great ideal. Did you use a program to draw the drawing?

9. Strick

Strick LawnSite Member

I like the idea of Little Gems or maybe some large Camellias for the backdrop, but would stay away from the Pampas Grass. It will be large and messy in years to come. Those are some nice oaks.