design help (PICS)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pdenney11, Apr 19, 2010.

1. pdenney11

pdenney11 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that had a pool installed last year. The pool has two hills around it. Customer basically wants to do away with having to mow the backyard. She has mentioned adding a retaining wall along the deep end side of the pool by the diving board but I doubt I can fit it into the budget she has given me and that is something I sub out anyways.

This is the first time I have ever designed around a pool. Most of our installs are front yard installs. I am having a real hard time coming up with types of plants to use in this install since everything will be close to the pool and I am worried about leaves and debris always blowing into the pool and runoff from the hills surrounding the pool. If you guys have any tips for planting around pools and placement in this landscape I would appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. pdenney11

one more pic

Attached Files:

3. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

What's the budget you have to work with? I think you could do some pretty nice muclh beds with shrubs in them. Or you could do different ground covers. I would like the look of dark colored mulch beds myself.

4. pdenney11

3,500 is my budget. I was afraid the mulch would runoff into the pool with a hard rain. Do you think it will be an issue?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. pdenney11

I do like the ground cover idea. That would help fill up some open spots on the larger hills.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

For $3500 you aren't going to get much more then mulch and a few shrubs.

7. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

I must agree with this. Sadly.

The retaining wall is a must in my opinion. As far as plantings go, I would go with a ground cover like an Ivy or some stolonous growing groundcover. Planting I would go with ornamental grasses and maybe some low maintenance shrubs like brush cherry, hawthorne, rose, etc. I would irrigate with 12" pop-ups.

8. pdenney11

Would you put a retaining wall just on the side with the diving board or around the left side by the hot tub also?

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I really don't think this would be much of an issue. I have mulched a steeper hill a couple times before, and the mulch is all still there. It seems like it would have to flood for that to happen, and then you have other problems to worry about.

10. Rivervalleylawns

Rivervalleylawns LawnSite Member

I would for sure be pushing for a wall on the two fence sides. Even if its not that tall. Also a budget of 10+.
    Posted via Mobile Device