Design Ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by waltero, Apr 7, 2007.

1. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I have attached a picture of what I have to deal with. I will try to attach another one with some of my ideas so that you can see what I am thinking.

This property suffers from excessive water because of the slope. The existing walkway leading down to the pond is in poor shape. I will be correcting the water problems to prevent any future damage but I will be replacing most of what you will see.

Homeowners are looking for something that will include a small outdoor kitchen, firepit, replacing the deck nearest the pond with a sunken patio, and replacing the existing patios near the house. The existing steps going down to the pond will also be replaced using the pedestal method. I was leaning towards the techo-bloc but I may push the EP Henry so that I can use the filler block that they make(to save cost).

Retaining wall around driveway is a 6x6 tie wall and is failing, will also be replacing. I may also be excavating about 2' more earth from the base in front of the driveway on the right to give myself a little less slope in that area for the sunken patio. That may be better understood in the drawings.

The sunken patio needs to be up a little higher then the existing deck that is there because homeowner doesn't want any railings or obstructions to the view. That is why I am going with the sunken patio and I will have the patio end on a small piece of level grass area before starting the steep grade towards the pond.

Looking for ideas from anyone willing to give it a try. Thanks for the imput.:)

1 (Large).jpg
  2. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

This is what I am thinking for the sunken patio, only the patio will be larger.

sunken patio.jpg
  3. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

All of the trees are coming down that are in the area, as well as all of the existing landscaping in the area will be replaced.

DSC08676 (Large).jpg

DSC08717 (Large).jpg

DSC08730 (Large).jpg

DSC08728 (Large).jpg
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Pleas re-post your plan larger. Cannot see it.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Have you talked budget with the customer yet?? I look at the plan and see 6 figures.
  6. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Here is a larger picture, I will try to give my ideas on the nest post.

Budget is OK, It is a larger job. There will be close to $20,000 spent just in engineering fees and fixing the drainage problems that plague the property. That is before we even do the demo and excavation.

They are looking for something on a larger scale but not too fancy. More of an open plan. Not too interested in many extras, except for the outdoor kitchen and a firepit. The outdoor kitchen will just be a grill, side burner, and a warming oven with some extra counterspace.

There will also be outdoor lighting on this job. With all of the walls and steps I was going to utilize steplights in these areas, maybe try to get some moon-lighting from a tree but I am not sure if that will be posible with the trees that are being removed.

1 (Custom).jpg
  7. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

The purple areas are proposed area for outdoor kitchen, green is plantings, blue will be retaining walls, and red will be patio and stairs.

Just looking for basic ideas, I am still in the design phase and will present ideas to clients. A hot tub and a fire pit will be on the sunken patio also. Let me know what you might do given this job.

Basically I am trying to soften the landscape with curves. It is a little too rigid because of the tie walls and retraints. Add a little bit of size and shape, add in a outdoor kitchen, firepit and hot tub. Plant materials will be for privacy around the sunken patio. I am kind of out of ideas, so I'll see what everyone else is thinking.

Thanks for all your help!

Image001 (Custom).jpg
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Be nice to incorporate the trees in the design.