Design issues?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jimmyburg, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

Went out this weekend to do a small repair job. customer asked me if i could give her a design of her system. I told her i did not install the system but could provide a head and valve location. so I turned on the system did the head placement and broke out the 521 and found the valves, I had drawn down the everything and had given her the design, she looked at me and said "where are all the pipes" i looked at her and said "there's know way i can trace the the laterals unless i dig up the whole yard". I asked here to contact the company for the asbuilt and she told me they are no longer in business. then she told of how great of a price they had gotten on the system. the contractor told them to pull a homeowner permit and the would install the system for less. after hearing that, I told her, well the only way to get all the lines in the drawing is to replace the whole system, she looked at me like i was stupid and and said the system is only one year old, I then told her that while doing the repair i encountered a lot of sch40 pipe. and showed her the flaws in her system of not performing correctly. I normally do not criticize someones system in front of the customer, but she asked for my opioion. what would have ya'll have done?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

She asked, tell her like it is. Theyre not in business anymore anyway, if the system aint performin, you should have some fix-it-up work comin at ya. Why didnt you just get out your pipe locator and find every freakin lateral in the yard?;)

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

always tell the truth.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can always 'color the truth' in a way that doesn't place blame on a customer for being an idiot for selecting the wrong contractor. You might be surprised what the customer response can be, when the obvious "What a mess!" is replaced by something less critical, and this gentler approach doesn't prevent a repairman from recommending improvements.

5. jimmyburg

I charge $80.00 per hour, and i was there 4 hours she was already made about the bill but she new in advance about my prices.

6. jimmyburg

your right, i just didnt start bad mouthing the contractor and the system, i was gentle about the whole thing. she called me back today and asked for a quote today, i already now she cant afford one of my systems, but told her i would come by tomorrow and we'll talk about it.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't have a problem criticizing other peoples work in front of clients. I try to do it in a kind way, but crap work is crap work, and should be pointed out. Sometimes ignorance is not bliss.

8. I start off with the sentence " I don't know the factors involved in ending with this system, but for what you are trying to do it's going to need some major modifications." I don't spend a lot of time criticizing just go straight to the point of what i'm going to do with it. By the way I discourage customers from trying to get me to draw them an as built since the pipe runs can't really be determined. I tell them their irrigation service dollars can be better spent.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My "as built" comes in the form of pictures. :clapping:

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My only 2c is that just because there was SCH 40 pipe in the system, does not mean it is a crappy system.

Up north here, most people use SCH 40 because plowing class pipe in the rocks causes too many hairline fractures. You just need to size it right.