Design Photos

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by STRINGALATION, Apr 11, 2007.

1. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in seeing others works. this is my first plan view. i have been using virtual proposals. but over the winter got my design diploma. this was my first customer of this year

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to be harsh, but you seem to be wanting a critique.

Get yourself a circle template, a flexible edge, and some various thickness pens. You need to clean up your edges, smoothness, and shapes. Drawing with different line thickness makes a huge difference. The house should be very thick (a Sharpie), driveways and walks a bit thinner, and vary up the plant symbols with fine lines for fine texture and thicker lines for coarser textured plants.

Save the color until after your line work is done. When you add color use light and shade, then pop it with shadow.

I don't know where you got your design diploma, but these are the very basics in plan drafting that you should have had in an intro class. It does not appear that they taught you anything about how to layout a plant schedule (plant list) or even to name them completely or show the symbol either. I won't even comment on the landscape design.

You have a long way to go. A plan like that is not going to generate new sales. I'd suggest using 8.5 x 11 graph paper and just pencil. A biigger plan is less forgiving and a black and white is viewed more as a sketch of where things go than a work of art. That is not a marketable plan and would make you look incompetent if you charge for it because they would project your competency in building the landscape to be at the same level that your plan drawing is at.

Where did you get your "diploma"?

3. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

first off i was just curious of everyones degree of detail not really critics
    but i do thank you the same. i will post a clearer pic but there are differences in the line-weight hiearchy, every plant has a diff symbol and color shade.
    i agree on edge cleaning not to familiar with drawing tools. you have options on the plant list and i choose direct labeling. i was talking to a major firm here and the plans they show do not come close to this for this type of account. the residential custermer loved it and we will be installing in a few weeks. i would only use botanical names if i was designing for someone a little more formal any more detail in this one and it is overkill. you do not know the site or the plant list to comment on the design.
    not bitter by far just a little explaining like i said my very first drawing.
    i recieved my diploma from p.c.d.i. and everything you said which is correct is covered in my courses excitement can cause you to rush things for two years i have been using virtual proposals i my low income clientele love them i took the course so i could learn more and start to prepare for the next level
    my sales success rate in my proposals/esimates are in the 90's

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a little rough... if you're going to hand letter, practice over and over with traditional architectural lettering styles and consider rub-on letters for the big stuff. I know my letters look like crap over 1/4" tall, as do most people's. Also, your titleblock/ legend is too big and overpowers the drawing. I think you could beef up the scale of the drawing and still fit in all the info you need to.

Dave

5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

string- if there's a community college or tech school in your area offering a hand drafting class, jump on it. If you like designing you'll love the class, and you'll be blown away by the improvement in your work. It won't just make for a better sales tool, but it'll also make for a cleaner and easier install.

Dave

6. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

PRESENTATION. I know you didn't ask for a critique but ya post something on the internet and you're gonna get it. Luckily, what you've gotten so far is responses from people trying to help you do it better. Carefully reread the first two responses you got and that will get you much closer to where your presentation should be.

Some things that really stand out to me are pretty simple. Freehand lines where a ruler should have been used such as windows, doors, breaks in the concrete. Squaring up things like the house and porch mean nothing to what you're trying to sell but if the L x W is not the same from one end to the other when it should be, it distracts from your presentation.

You can find most of the very basic templates and rulers at places like Office Max or Office Depot. Sakura makes some good basic and inexpensive set of pens with different point sizes. I used to use the Pigma Micron for fine lines but they have Pigma Graphic with thicker tips.

You said that your lower income clientel love it. Would you feel as comfortable giving the same effort to someone earning 10x as much??? I believe your effort should be the same. The difference in the amount of detail or the effort of the design should be based on the extent of the job, if any difference at all.

Andy :)

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Ideas for your future plans

1. Crisper cleaner line
    2. Use a scale
    3. My personal preference is to have both botaincal and common name on shrubs along with sizes.
    4. Better use of whitespace. Create a template for the bottom rigth corner and use that area for client information and your contact information and center the actual drawing. To much writing will take away from the design.

We use letter codes rather than symbols like this

BES Black-eyed-susan Rudbeckia gholdstrum 1 gal

and the flowers would be represented with a circle and have the BES within it.

What do you mean by lower level clientel? we charge the same no matter who we deal with it all depends on how much they want to spend. same service maybe a smaller project but the margins on those are usually higher anyway.

8. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Not very accomplished in it yet but poeple love it here have attached a pic of a recent job we got one pic of a larger install.

BankFinish.jpg

9. jmartin

jmartin LawnSite Member

Stringalation,

I also completed the same course from PCDI and I really learned a lot from it. I'm sure many here will agree that there is no substitution for "real world" experience. If you keep working on it you will get better. I still have a lot of work to do as far as my site plans go to get them where I feel comfortable that they are acceptable for customers. It looks good, just keep working on them and you'll probably surprise yourself how much you improve! Good luck!

10. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

airwave- that software is very cool. I don't really do installs but if I did I'd be using that. I actually had to do a double take :laugh: