Design question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mrsteve, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

In Texas the current rules prohibit throwing water on hard surfaces like streets or sidewalks. When I learned design in the 80's we were told to half space the first head at the curb corner. This was to prevent damage from someone shorting the turn as they came into the driveway. My question is, what is the current method? Are we putting heads back in the corners?

2. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

I'll check my book when I go to the shop tomorrow, but I believe the rule is two inches from any hardscape. Also, any turf area smaller than 4 ft. is not allowed to have a spray head. That means alot of parkways get netafim.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

4" from hardscapes. That means the parkway must be 56in+ wide to qualify for sprays... 4ft of turf and 4"spacing on both sides.

Look at the rules though, commercial it is still ok to "flood irrigate" some areas.

5. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

I guess I'm thinking more about a rotor zone. The problem with triangle spacing, over throwing onto the drive etc. Even if you put the first row on the corner the second row would have to be a piggy back to contain the water to where it should be. Just wondering want they are teaching theses days.