Design question...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HighGrass, Oct 2, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I don't know too much about metals but wouldn't it make sense to have a stainless steel upgrade for mower decks? To costly?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

HighGrass,

There is a cost premium to using stainless. I'm not sure what the advantage would be however. It the decks tended to rust through then yes, stainless would be beneficial however I don't believe that is an issue.

Thanks

Terry

3. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

So I should not worry about rust under the deck?

4. eXmark

DD,

The deck is going to rust, it's normal. Just make sure you clean and scrape the deck as part of your daily maintenance and you'll be in good shape.

You want to prevent a build up of grass and fertilizer under the deck. The decomposing grass can often be acidic as can the fertilizers used on many lawns.

Thanks

Terry

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've owned MANY lawnmowers over the past 23 years, and never had a problem with deck rust.

Then again, all my mowers sleep in a garage overnight and over winter.

And all mowers are blown off every day.

6. eXmark

Guys,

The fabricated decks don't tend to "rust out" although it is possible. Any place under the deck that has the paint worn off will rust. If you let the grass and fertilizer collect in these areas they can create some pitting which causes more grass and debris to stick.

The real reason for scraping and cleaning the deck has little to do with rust. It really has more to do with the performance of the deck and the health of the lawns.

If you leave the grass and debris under the deck it can change the airflow of the deck and decrease its efficiency or quality of cut.

If you leave the debris under the deck you can also spread disease, mold, weeds, insects, chemicals and other unwanted material.

Scraping the decks helps leave all those items where they came from and prevents you from taking them from yard to yard.

Thanks

Terry

7. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It seems to be important to clean the deck often, are you working on something to make it faster?

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Understood. But there is a catch 22 here! By scraping the deck the paint does come off (almost all of it and I only have a 134 hrs on mine) and hence now I have an open avenue for rust...correct?

9. eXmark

High grass,

Not really.

The powder coat paint is super tough but it won't even last under the deck. When you've got a set of blades spinning at close to 200 mph a few inches off the ground your pull a lot of dirt, sand, and other abrasive matter up from into the deck. All these tiny little particles will remove the paint from under the deck rather quickly. Scraping is really a fairly small factor in why you'll find bare metal under the deck.

Just an FYI. I recommend cleaning the underside of the deck thoroughly with a wire brush annual to remove deposits and rust. The coat with a high quality spray paint or Teflon/graphite paint. The Teflon/graphite paints help prevent the wet spring grass from sticking to the underside of the deck. You can generally find these paints under various names at agricultural supply stores or implement dealerships.

Thanks

Terry