Design software....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nobagger, Aug 2, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am looking for design software thats well, cheap or free. I just want to do one project to show a customer. Usually I have no use for one but in this case they are a younger couple with a new house and even with some really good drawings they were still in the fog. Thanks in advance.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Broderbund is okay, but very limited for as complicated as it seemed. If I were to invest in something like that, I'd get ProLanscape 12 by Drafix. It is the undisputed best out there! Showoff.com is free!

3. Starman

Starman LawnSite Member

4. Team-Green L&L

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have pro landscape 12 $ 1,000.00 What can you expect for free and cheap? This stuff is very expensive but i paid for mine in 2 jobs.
    Mike

6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobagger, do you need a 3D image or a landscape plan. You would be best off with paper and pencil for a plan, or have someone do it for you. If you need a 3D image, definitely have a designer or someone with the software create one for you. Cheap programs are not professional or effective. If this is something that is rare for you, hook up with someone that can help you with the occasional request. Many of today's client need 3D imaging to understand what you are trying to accomplish and any large or elaborate job should have a landscape plan to be successful.

If I can be of assistance, feel free to contact me. If you have photos and an idea of what you need, I can create photo imaging for you, or if you need a landscape plan, you'll need a site plan and lots of information. Just like with all the other tools you use, you get what you pay for. If design software becomes a necessity, look seriously at Pro Landscape.

Kirk

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Thanks Kirk, I actually am a really good "drawer" and when I put it down onto paper with some colored pencil they could see the different colors of what we are planting. I guess they couldnt see that with the intial black and white drawing.

8. Team-Green L&L

Drawn designs are still, and always will be, my preferred method of design. The software out there now is done in color though. Pro Landscape V12 is as close to a specialized AutoCAD as it gets. Holiday lighting, plant growth, and an array of other extras are in this software. It's easy to use and will provide digital imaging with an insane selection of plants/flowers for any zone.