Design Software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 94gt331, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Thanks, I will look into this program

2. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I'll voice a second vote for Drafix Pro Landscape, as it is what I use, I always draw up a plan in the plan view (CAD) for my personal estimating convienence... if the customer wants to keep that design they can buy it. I also do the Photo editing design, which gives the customer an excellent idea of how the finished product will look.

As far as the images looking cheesy... give joe schmo a set of water colors, and have him paint a picture, chances are that it won't look as good as a professional artist painting the same picture with water colors...I have spent a lot of time practacing with the image software and IMHO it has paid off.

You also really have to know your plants, because there is no set scale when you are dropping the trees or shrubs into the photo... you don't want to mis-represent what you are giving the customer. I can make it look like a sugar maple would fit into a tiny garden just as easy as I can make it look like there are 8' tall daylilys.

I think that pro landscape is great just because 90% of customers can't visualize an installed landscape off of a plan view drawing like most landscapers can.

3. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

[/QUOTE] I think that pro landscape is great just because 90% of customers can't visualize an installed landscape off of a plan view drawing like most landscapers can.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Most customers don't know what a finished product will look like from a 2d rendering. While I respect everyones opinions I feel that for my company this is a go to sales tool for most customers. Especially the ones that have never had landscaping installed by professionals. True it is probably better suited to under 10-15k jobs but in my market that is where the majority of residentials will be. If you do the measuring and site work correctly and know your plants then it isn't hard to do a realistic 3d rendering. I have done some that came out almost exact.

4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE/]
    I think that pro landscape is great just because 90% of customers can't visualize an installed landscape off of a plan view drawing like most landscapers can.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Most customers don't know what a finished product will look like from a 2d rendering. While I respect everyones opinions I feel that for my company this is a go to sales tool for most customers. Especially the ones that have never had landscaping installed by professionals. True it is probably better suited to under 10-15k jobs but in my market that is where the majority of residentials will be. If you do the measuring and site work correctly and know your plants then it isn't hard to do a realistic 3d rendering. I have done some that came out almost exact.

5. jrmyj

jrmyj LawnSite Member

I use realtime landscape and it was the most reasonable price wise. This was my first deisgn program and it sells jobs for me. Customers see what their house can look like and makes it really easy to sell. It was one of the best investments Ive made for my business.

al moline 15.jpg

6. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

I am curious as to what route you went on design software. I am in the same situation you were in and was considering getting Drafix Landscape Pro or Real Time Landscape Architect.

7. jhouchins

jhouchins LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I also use pro-landscaping version 18 and have been very pleased. The only complaint is that the hardscaping features aren't as detailed as the plant section. It has helped me close about 95% of my jobs. Its also makes it much easier to upsale.

I would recomend a design program 100%. People just don't usually know names of plants until they actually see a picture of them. Everytime I use my program the customer has always been impressed.

Just my 2 cents

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. The way I've gotten around the hardscaping issues is to go to the manufacturer's Web site and pull images from there and use them in the design. That, or use some images of previous jobs we've done and use those images to make new objects.

It's nice having the object builder also. Once you've made and stockpiled personalized objects , it makes the whole process that much faster.

Posted via Mobile Device