Designing Brochures

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tiffany, Jan 25, 2001.

1. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

I am working on a new brochure for the commercial landscaping/irrigation aspects of our company and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I know the standard stuff to say, but I was just wondering if anyone else had done this and what they thought worked for them? Important points, buzz words, types of pictures, etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Your lucky I get big $$ for this type of consulting.

Commerical landscaping the contractor/owner are looking for companys that can do the work fast and efficent, show some of your work in progress and completed. Tell them your company keeps up with the latest in indrustry trends and the crews are trained in all aspects of the latest products and equipment. This will get you started, remember in this area prices are lower so equipment is going to play a larger roll in the jobs that you do.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Paul, congrats on being a new moderator. I didn't know you consulted on marketing issues. Hmm, I see an income opportunity here...

Tiffany,

I couldn't tell from your profile if you are primarily trying to attract commercial business or residential business. The approach you take will vary quite a bit depending on which you're after.

Paul covered important parts of the commercial side, his specialty. I'll try to give you some info on the residential side, my specialty. I'm not going to go too much in depth here, as this post would then likely take 15 minutes to download. I'll just cover the highlights:

With the residential customer, you should be marketing primarily to the women. They are the ones with influence in this arena. Gear your advertising to them. Landscaping is a right-brained thing (in general), women tend to be right-brained thinkers (in general). Which means, you'll want to stress different things than latest equipment, trained employees, etc. Not to say those aren't important. They just aren't AS important as selling benefits, to these customers. Sell the benefits the customer will receive, not the elements of the products you're offering. That you use the biggest, fastest irrigation line is less important than having a lush lawn, with trouble-free, guaranteed work.

Know the demographics available to you in your market. Know the demographics you're after within that market.

I don't know if this is your only job function and how much time you have to invest in the marketing of your company (though it should be a lot), if you want to get into some unorthodox, high-impact, low-cost guerilla marketing ideas, e-mail me.

4. tiffany

tiffany LawnSite Member

thanks paul and stonehenge. All of your suggestions are very helpful. I am concentrating on commercial only right now, because the owner of my company has decided to do less residential work in favor of more commercial. And I have until Tuesday to come up with all of my ideas (not much time!) Thanks again, and anyone else with ideas, please help!!

5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Over on the lawncare forum Kirby put up an example of his brochure. I downloaded it and found that just looking at the information helped me to better think about my services and what makes my business unique.
    Maybe check out some online sites and take the good, modify some of the ideas, put together an awesome brochure!