Designing logos and slogans

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 26, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to design a logo and add a slogan. do they have to be registered anywhere for legal rights on displaying them? I already own the name. Plan to make them for advertisements
  2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have it in print especially somewhere like a website it is already copywritten. But it you wan't it registered as your trademark then you would have to file it with the government. I have the link somewhere for it. If I find it I will PM it to you. I think if you register it yourself it is around 250.00 but I can not remember.
  3. stevenf

Do you have to register it?? For legal reasons.
    The logo will be something simple like grass/tree clipart with the name displayed in it.
  4. stevenf

Anyone know?
  5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

usually not if it is just a plain design.
  6. stevenf

what about the slogan?
  7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You're not required to register a logo as a trademark. However, if you don't, someone could take it and use it for themselves. If they really wanted to screw with you, THEY could register it and then serve YOU with a cease and desist, arguing that you're using their trademark. I would assume it's the same with a slogan.

That's my understanding, anyhow. If you're working with a graphic designer, he or she should know. Otherwise, an attorney or business consultant should be able to advise you better.
  8. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

Well in order to prevent someone else copying your logo/company name and then trying to come back and sue you do the following:
    Design your logo/name and print it off on anything.(Letterhead, flyer, business card, etc...) Then mail it to yourself via USPS certified mail. When it arrives, DO NOT OPEN IT. It will have the postmark date on the envelope somewhere. Then if/when someone would happen to sue you simply tell the judge that you had the logo first but just didn't "register" or "trademark" it. When he asks for proof simply hand him the UNOPENED envelope with date on it and tell him to open it right there in front of everyone. Now you may not be able to keep your logo from that point on, but you shouldn't have to pay the jerk that sued you anything at least. PM me with any questions.
  9. GroundForce007

GroundForce007 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i never new that thats kool