1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Desin/ Build

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kris, Jan 1, 2002.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Don't know how to set up a poll so I will just ask ....

How many of you are design/build contractors or are you mainly competeing on "open bid" jobs?

I personally feel that design/build has many advantages over the open bid. .... while not the only reason, I do believe these jobs are more profitable.
    Any comments?

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Design/ build, though we also do open bid. I'd rather do d/b cause open bid usually leads to all kinds of lowballers. Happens alot with commercials.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

D/B only. Though we will be trying to horn our way into open bid/comm stuff this year.

I enjoy the design process and the selling process.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We do Public bid work only.

5. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

99% residential design build, trying out some municipal tenders this year. I landed some municipal snow work this winter and there were very few others after it here.

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer design/build but I also like commercial work that is referred (not exactly an open bid situation). We will do open bid work also, but the chance of winning the bid is so much lower. Doing open bid work also means you had better really know your production times and costs or you won't be in the game for long.