Desperate for advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ransomes, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

Need advice for a job that just came up today.

Just got a call from a guy who just received one of my flyers yesterday. I went to his house just 10 minutes ago and he told me that i was probably going to charge him extra for his back yard, i thought to myself this is just the kind of customer i want, so i asked him how bad was the back yard , and he told me its up to your neck, so i laughed and said " no really how bad is it " then he opens the gate and i see this huge forest, i quoted him 100 to cut it and haul it, is this a fair price or did i underestimate the job?and now im trying to figure out how im going to handle this job since i just started doing this 1 week ago, all i have is one 21inch honda lawnmower and 1 weed wacker (Troy built.... garbage). should i try to weed wack it until i get it short enough and then try to mow it or should i go to home depot and buy an echo trimmer? , which im going to have to buy eventually. Here are a few pics of the jungle.....

Photo_072006_003.jpg

Photo_072006_002.jpg

Photo_072006_001.jpg

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY- Underestimate.

Somewhere in the 200-250 range for me...Possibly 300.

3. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with mike you under estimated that by far, but it comes with the biz, your gonna get screwed and your gonna make out good with a job, have to learn from your mistakes

4. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

how long do you think it will take me ? i estimated maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hrs?

5. DodgeTruckMan731

srry for the double post, but i would definatly take the trimmer to it first then rake it out then cut it to give it a nice finish.

6. DodgeTruckMan731

it might take you a little bit more than that depending and how quick you work, will anybody be helping you?

7. Ransomes

Ransomes LawnSite Member

No help im doing it all myself, so buying a trimmer wont be necessary? because i doubt the weed wacker will do anything to this monster

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Rent a rough cut mower from your local rental house and cut it with that first.
    Many rental places will rent by the hour or half day. You aren't going to make much on the job no matter what you do.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

what is the dimensions of that? you are getting rooked. being in texas, how many cuts should he have had this season if he would have started service at the beginning of the season? that probably hasn't been cut one time i bet. and now he is going to get that cut and cleaned up for a measly 100 bucks, with probably no guarantee that he will even continue service once you clean his field for him. go back and tell him you made a mistake, and change your bid. if he says he isn't interested cause the price increased, trust me, you aren't losing anything.

10. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

A trimmer will cut that down. Heck get the brushcutter trimmer.

Trimmer....Than Mow it with a bag.