Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheCuttingEdge, Apr 20, 2001.

1. TheCuttingEdge

TheCuttingEdge LawnSite Member

This is my first post ever but I have been reading and soaking up all the advice I can, I thank all for that. But i am desperate now. I am supposed to prepare a bid for a Condominium Complex, Cutting, Trimming, Weeding flower beds, Planting, and Plowing in winter. I don't know how to prepare a bid; what should it look like? How do I break down the pricing? I really want this job but I want to be very professional about it. Any advice would be great! Thanks
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like you know what you are doing.
    do the research, figure in exstras you are not familar with
    and bid to make money.they will probably want quality.
    in other wds they want to look good. if they are trying to get good service for small money you better off without the acct.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to bring you down, but the fact you are asking these questions says you are not ready to handle a job like this. It is going to be too much for you and you will end up with a bid that may be way off, in either direction. The fact that you do not even know what a proposal looks like is enough to put this to an end. It's good that you have an incentive to work hard at your age but this would most likely turn into a mess for you. Good luck and stick to smaller stuff until you can do these larger areas with the knowledge you gain from that experience. :)
  5. Javelin14

Javelin14 LawnSite Member

It sounds like you have to ask yourself two questions:

#1 Do you have the work experience to do a professional job on the apartment complex? Randy raises a valid point - if you don't have the experience, you might be biting off more than you can chew. I know that we got our first apartment complex after we had some experience under our belts and liability insurance. The potential for breaking something or having the mower throw something is higher on a commercial propert where there's more debris. While everybody has to have a first time experience, you have tyo make sure you can do the job.

#2 Do you know what price you can do the work and stay competitive but still make a profit? You have to find out how others price the same size job and stay in the ballpark of those prices.

Tha actual format of the bid is the easy part. Use MS Word and look for the bid and invoice templates. The thread suggested in an earlier post probably has the link to the Microsoft Office website - we found lots of good templates there. We used parts of several to make ours and we always provide a bid in writing even for small residential customers. We have gotten referrals based on how professional we came across. One lady told us she expected us to cut the place better than the last guy because we had letterhead and a nice slogan under it: "We cut yours like it's ours" Go figure! I just thought it conveyed our work ethic and never thought it would land us the account. How you market yourself is important, how you do the work is important, how you maintain your equipment is important - it's all important! You can learn alot on this forum - we sure have. bThe guys like Eric and others are pros and their work speaks for itself. There will always be a certain amount of risk involved in your first complex, but if you feel like you do a professional job - then go for it.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

javlin and randy make a very good point, personly i wouldn't bid on something like this if i wasn't in bussiness for a few years, it could end up hurting you more than you think. thats just my outlook