Desperately need a little help. (Graphics)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I placed an order with gotprint.com for some postcards and the file I uploaded was not to their specifications. Can someone PLEASE help me out because I have no idea how to do this. The following is what they sent me via email.

(Excerpt from email) We are having problems with your file/s. Please note that the files
    that you uploaded have the wrong dimensions.
    Please make sure that the dimensions are 6.1 x 4.1 inches with bleed.
    The background should extend all the way to the edge when the canvas has
    the dimensions mentioned above.

The files you send must follow the guidelines listed below.

. Resolution must be at least 300 to 350 dpi, in CMYK color mode.
    . Format must be .psd, tiff, eps, pdf or .jpg formats.
    . Minimum 1/16" inch bleed on all sides.
    Example: A Â business card 2" x 3.5" would have a bleed size of 2.1" x
    3.6" Â or an 8.5"x11" flyer would have a bleed size of 8.625"x11.125".
    ( 1/8"} (End Excerpt)

I desperately need a little help on this one. If I email the file, could someone do the aboce to it and send it back to me. Thanks a LOT!!!

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Saving money is always a little more difficult. Someone has to do the groundwork for those prices.

3. Grits

from Florida

I completely agree. I am currently downloading a trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS2. Should I be able to do what I need to do in this trial version?

4. Grits

from Florida

Team Green, I sent you another PM.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have Adobe 6.0 photo shop and yes it will resize them to whatever size you need.

6. rockymtnmf

rockymtnmf LawnSite Member

When you made your design, did you use one of their templates? What type of file did you send them? What is the size of the file you have? JPG's are not the best format for print, but for example... A JPG for a 4x6 postcard in 300dpi is 1875x1275 pixels. If you used any pictures taken from off the internet, those are 72dpi and will look blurry when printed. Not saying you did but just giving you an idea of how big the file has to be. Another example... that same 4x6 postcard in 72dpi (thats a standard resolution for websites) would be 450x306 pixels. It might look fine on your computer, but in print it will look horrible.

If i confused you sorry, or if I told you something you already know, im sorry for that too. But hopefully this helps

7. Team-Green L&L

No offense, but a JPEG is the best file for printing graphics if they need to be uploaded. TIFF files are too large. Even JPEGs could need to be zipped files.

8. rockymtnmf

I read these posts that you make and you are constantly telling people your way is the best, you claim to know everything(especially lawn care, you sure learned a lot in those 5 yrs in business) and if anyone has an opinion different than yours they're wrong. I've kept my mouth shut until now. Cause this time your comments are directed at mine. You can send a JPG image to a printer, like I said, but its not the best. The best is to send the the file in the program file it was created in (ie Photoshop,.psd). If not and .eps, .tiff, .pdf or .tif will work also. The file size has nothing to do with it, like your telling everyone. What difference would it make if the file was 1GB. Who cares? All is does is make upload/download time longer.

Also if you read my post you would have understood that all my advice was given for JPGs!! If I didn't think it could be done why would I wast my time on exact dimensions of a 300dpi JPG for the postcard he was asking about.

Go tell everyone how to run their lawn care companies! I'm going for a hernia operation next week do you have any advice for me on that?

9. Team-Green L&L

You are incorrect in this statement. I have never told anyone that their way was "wrong". I am very straight-forward and I have been in "business" for 10 years (I'm a marketing agent) that wants to learn this market well. If you'll read the posts I make, you'll see that I discuss business and marketing. Very seldom do I input on proper work procedure because I am learning that myself.

My post are "to the point" and that may offend you, but I don't mean to. The fact remains that you can Google search graphics design sites and Printing sites and obtain the same info I'm giving you. Maybe I'm just not nice enough for you. I'm sorry!

My posts probably look like I know it all because I usually only reply about something I DO know. I read about the things I don't.

This is true as long as the company accepts this format.

This is incorrect because the server is more likely to reject an upload of that size, the company will probably require a .zip file in this case, etc.

Now, just to clarify something. This thread was started after he contacted me via PM. Why do you think he contacted ME? I use the print company he is dealing with and have for years. I guess what I'm saying is that your help is appreciated, but your attitude is unwarranted.

10. rockymtnmf

I stand corrected, i only wish I knew about this site before I attended The University of the Arts in Phila. and when I upload my files to my Uncles Printing company in Pittsburgh I'll PM you and see if im dong it right.

I didn't mean to start an argument, but the tone of your post(s) sure make you sound like a "know it all." But now ive said my piece and I will watch from a far.

BTW- both statements above are true (school/uncle), cause I wouldn't believe them if I were you either. Also change your profile and people wont assume 5 yrs in business(your website also says 2001).

Good business luck in the future.