1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Destroyed a sprinkler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbenz, Jul 8, 2004.

1. mbenz

mbenz LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Ok, I was letting an Electrician install lights on post around my fence and he wanted to run a ditch witch down my yard to install the wires in the ground, We talked about him running it down the fence line, right up beside it i thought, to keep from tearing up the lawn.
    He went and rented the ditch witch and ran it 4' from the fence line and busted 12 water pipes going to my sprinkler.
    I know he was mad but he vented it toward me. I said nothing much, He tried to fix some but really got over his head, so he told me to call in some pro to come and fix the system , and I did.
    They charge 60$ a man hour and were here all day.
    What should i do when it comes to paying him the money for his work? Originally total cost for the electrical job was around $1100, should i take out the 300+ for the repairs that I had to get done?
    He is only working on the side, no insurance no company nothing.
    Total mess now mud everywhere from both contractors walking in the mud in and around the house garage etc.
    And it has rained now and i don't think there is enough fill dirt to fill the ditch back up in a few places.
    What should I do?
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course I would make him pay. He broke it didn't he?
  3. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Next time hire a contractor that is liscesed and insured.
  4. mbenz

mbenz LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have learned to allways hore someone who is liscesed and insured,, Im Thinking he should pay but he is the type of person that is waiting to pop off with his mouth, and i dont conduct myself that way,
    Somehow he was trying to say the sprinkler system wes put in wrong etc.
    I wish i had been home when he started but i wasnt, He called me when he hit the first pipe, I told him "Yep you must have hit one of the sprinkler lines, And told him I was on the way home,In the meantime he continues to go down the fence busting pipe,He only had the Ditch witch rented for 1/2 a day and wanted to get done.
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

If you didnt mark where the sprinkler lines were it is not the electricians fault . He should be paid the full amount . I come behind electricians, septic installers, and landscapers repairing the sprinklers that were cut the homeowner is the one I hand the bill to. I have cut pool lines, electric lines , sewer lines and all those repairs are the responsibility of the homeowner . If its not marked its not our responsibility , unless the homeowner wishes to pay us to hand dig the whole yard buried lines will be cut .
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Um..... I would absolutely disagree with Mdirrigation.

For one, if I were doing ANY irrigation work, before I started on a yard, it would HAVE to be marked. How are you going to know where the gas, electrical, etc., is? Foolish not to have those things marked.

How do you know the homeowner doesn't have a furnace in the garage that he buried his own gas line to 1-2' in the ground?

At which point, if the yard was not marked and the contractor proceeded with the work, it's his liability. If there's no insurnace, and he wants to be paid, he'll have to see you in court.
  7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would take it out of his pay and if he goes off u tell him that before you dig or trench u are supposed to call the utility companies to come out and mark everything. The contractor is at fault for not doing this.
  8. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If you said hey man don't trench here I got lots of sprinkler pipes going on then backcharge him.

If not then
    Pay the man his money !

They do not mark sprinkler systems.
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yes,pay him.Next time,check for license,insurance,and as an electrician in Alabama,he must be state certified.
    Prime example of what happens when "we" try to get off cheap by hiring a shadetree electrician/landscaper/plumber/etc.,,
    End up paying more in the long run.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is this where it was discussed to run it? If so, this pretty much answers it, right there. If he was told to do it there, by you, then it's rather simple. If he just went on his own and did it, then it would be different. Regardless, he SHOULD have insurance for things like this. If it HAD been a gas or water line, he would be up the creek.