Destroyed Honda push mower today!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

I was mowing a new account small fenced in area very tall grass and hit a piece of 2 in pipe 1/4 in thick. The shaft is bent in two places and the blade, well what is left of the blade is in several pieces. The deck is bent and broke a wheel. Very Bad Day!! Anyone esle had this problem LOL tell me about your expierence!!

2. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Oak root!!!!! The blade and shaft will bend----but the Oak tree??? It ain't budgin'!!!!

3. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

time for a new mower or just a motor cheeper to buy a new mower I have found out I have hit metal pipe also in the past sobsssssssss

4. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

One of the questions I always ask new customers. Are there any tree stubs, pipes, or anything else in the yard that I need to be aware of? The one that has gotten me a few times are water meter covers being sucked up into the blades!

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i destroyed a comm toro the same way once. ouch!

6. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned the hard way.
    Busted a new comm mower to pieces, where I shouldn't have taken it.

This could save someone the trouble I had.......

Buy a couple of cheap mowers for those types of over grown lawns,
    or don't mow them.

Try to be thorough on your walk through before mowing.

7. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

seems like you should see things like that.

8. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I read this post and had to reply

Honda produces great products, including their walk behind rotary mowers. That being said, I was surprised the read the original post.

All 21" Rotary push mowers sold in the US are required by the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) to Comply with ANSI B71.1

Here is an excerpt from that standard that applies to the original post....

10.3.2 Impact test

10.3.2.1 Test procedure

Completely encircle the mower at the time of test by a wall of 350-lb double-wall cardboard resting on the floor. The wall shall be approximately 610 mm (24 in) from the blade tip circle with a minimum height of 610 mm (24 in) above the horizontal plane of the blade tip circle. Position the mower over an SAE 1117 free-cutting steel rod, 25 mm (1 in) in diameter, that has been placed into a test fixture as shown in Figure 3. The blades shall be adjusted to the cutting height closest to 50 mm (2 in) and shall be so positioned that when the rod is injected into the rotating blade, the blade will strike the exposed portion of the rod within 50 mm (2 in) of the tip of the blade. The rod shall be injected once into the path of the blade. The test shall be conducted once for each blade assembly of the mower. A new mower may be used for each test.

10.3.2.2 Test acceptance
    Failure for this test shall be any of the following:
    – Target penetration by any part of the mower;
    – Breakage of the blade;
    – Breakage of the blade vertical retention means to the blade driving shaft.

Breakage of the shearing device or chipping of the blade cutting edge are not considered test failures.

Hmmm.... Sounds like a failure to me.

9. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Was this mower one of the HRC commercial 21's or one of the residential duty units?

10. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Always do a thorough walk through the whole property to check for all the unexpected objects on the first mow. Saves alot of down time.
    The worst i've done with my 21" Honda his hit a rope with a bolt tied to it and a couple small rocks. nothing that bad, sorry about your accident.