Detaching Clean-Up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Chipper36, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Chipper36

Chipper36 LawnSite Member

What machine would you recommend I purchase/rent (I'm a start up and cannot afford the biggest and best yet) to remove dead grass from a customer's lawn after a mechanical dethaching has been performed?

Thanks.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

a walkbehind lawn vacuum works pretty good.......we use trac-vacs mounted on the z's

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I find people over "deThatch" (your saying detatch) their lawn mostly during early spring and late fall. Some of the grass is dormant because of the cool temps here and people go and rip it up. It is good (also called a power rake) to get pine needles and acorns up to the surface to make cleanup easier. They are fairly cheap to rent and not that expensive to buy used.

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Just re-read your post, I gave you the right answer but to the wrong question. I use a walker GHS mower to cleanup afterwards. That isn't going to help your question because you stated you are new and don't have that much money to work with, and a Walker being $9k to start might not be the best bet.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always just run the mower over the lawn with a bagger afterwards and bag all the dead grass. Saves a lot of time

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I always use the blowers to blow the dead grass into piles. Kinda like leaves. Then I bag up the grass and leave for the city pickup. I think the blowers work better than raking the stuff up, actually.

Once I did a dethatching and pulled 42 brown recycling bags worth of dead grass outta the yard!

:D