1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Detail your maintenance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oatka, Dec 2, 2005.

1. oatka

oatka LawnSite Member

(not in the biz...yet) just curious how much time goes into weekly maintenance. i've heard some guys keep 1 day a week set aside for maintenance (or to cover for rainy days etc.). since i don't run a lawn care business i'm curious what is done on that day. i would assume you clean and sharpen and change oil and stuff. if someone wants to give me a detailed list of a typical maintenance day and time involved that would help me in my decision to start. thanks.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We have enough blades to sharpen once a week but each day we change and clean the decks. One guy does that (and checks oil) while the other cleans out the truck and trailer from the day and swaps out the gas tanks. Only about 5 min.
    Once a week we have a guy that cleans the units and checks them out (anything loose or broken, cleans out the air filter box), and also checks out trucks and trailers, (air-oil- lights- inventory).
    We service per owners manual.
    We also sharpen blades.
    We have a very organized area to do this in so it flows well so for us it is about a 15% time frame for the week.