Detective Time???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 31, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Got a work order that an area was "very wet" and went out to do a little detective work. Found the following situation which is a property line interface zone between two sites. Want to hazard a guess as to what caused it? Actually quite simple but thought I'd provide insufficient information... sorta like a lot of the questions we field here. :laugh:

Adult School - OTP Interface 10-31-06 IV-01.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Valve box resting on lateral line, those ruts are from a big truck? :)

3. PurpHaze

Nope... not even close.

Crane truck with HVAC unit on it.

4. Low end drainage caused the turf to be soft. Then the truck ran over the head and pushed it down into the turf and system ran for a few days..

5. PurpHaze

Great deduction... but that's not it. I like the way you think though. :)

I'll post the "answer" pictures this afternoon.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Line on property A was cut while doing installation or service on property B. Couldn't see any water running after doing repairs and checking system on B. Then everytime A runs it floods area through open pipe?

Is that it? What do I win? A DanaMac Fan Club gimme cap?

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey now, if you're going to make fun of it. We'll just leave you out of the club. :laugh: :laugh:

8. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Water possibly from roof drains (drops off building to right) see staind concrete from right?

9. PurpHaze

Not quite. Maybe Dana will part with a picture of his legs though??? :laugh:

10. PurpHaze

Great deduction!!! You win... although the water is actually from four PGP sprinklers that either dump water directly on the swampy area or onto the concrete drain channel that then carries the water to the swamp. One sprinkler was put directly behind an electrical transformer and all the water hitting the transformer was just sloshing down the concrete.

The boss met with the original contractor today about the problem. One sprinkler got capped, two others had smaller nozzles put in and the whole system was cut back total time. The zones hadn't been cut back either for the fall like our systems were about 7 weeks ago.

Basically one of the simplest explanations. Too much water. :laugh:

Adult School - OTP Interface 10-31-06 IV-02.jpg

Adult School - OTP Interface 10-31-06 IV-03.jpg

Adult School - OTP Interface 10-31-06 IV-04.jpg