determining value

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Nov 4, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How to determine value of large trucks? Can't exactly use KBB and I did a few min of searching to come up with mostly there a particular www?

I've found a 2001 FL70......130k on the chasis and 40k on the engine with 6spd Fuller. CAT power and was replaced under warranty due to a past defect. Asking $19,900 and I think I can get it for $17,500.......its a box truck, looks good. I think its 33k GVW weight too.

2. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search online for comparable trucks. Not sure of the specifics of the truck you are looking at, but you could probably get one for a few grand less. There are plenty of Internationals out there in the 12-15k price range.
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

One reason I like Frieghtliner is because its different. International are good trucks but the electrical systems are one of a kind. I'm still looking into Freightliner but the only problem I really find is that the cab makes noise........which I don't care about, its a work truck not a Benz.
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Are you talking about the engine electric or cab/chassis electric? If it's the engine, don't let the T444e or DT466 scare you they are not hard to work on. What engine and rear axle ratio does that truck have?
  5. tthomass

from N. VA

I'm waiting to find out.........I'm getting the VIN# and getting all the specs on the truck

For big trucks I've driven CDL Chevy gassers and Internationals. I am reading more into the CAT engines as time allows and the Fuller tranny. As for looks I like the Freightliner over the International unless I get the newer model.

Whatever truck I end up with I'm looking to have it repainted and put together and nice appearance package to really make it stand out, cleanly.
  6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not real impressed with the price on that truck. It's a little high. See if the dealer will keep the box if you do not plan to use it. Make sure he understands it's a liability to you and you like the truck but not the box.

The $17,500 price is still a little on the high side but for that price, the tires and brakes should be good, the clutch not wore out, etc. Best to have a mechanic look any truck over you are considering. Have him check the king pins and inspect the front steering components.

One more thing on the Freightliner..the styling is nice on these but there is a lot of glass up front. Make sure the seat belts are present, functioning and insist that your riders use them.

Also, the accoustics are good in these. I had a 10" woofer mounted under the passenger bench in the stow away area. Installed TR speakers up front, a Memphis amp bolted onto the cab behind the drivers seat. Clarion stereo, XM satellite. Put a good sound system in yours, and the cab noise majically disappears.:walking:

Despite their quirks, FL's are a great platform for swaploaders, rail systems, etc. Don't skimp on maintenance. Mine gets complete PM every 5000. Use only the best additives, Shaeffer's grease, etc. Treat your FL like it's your baby. They are not cheap to own in terms of maintenance...but DO NOT cut corners.
  7. tthomass

from N. VA

I hear you on good sound........speaking of which I just blew my 12" Alpine Type R....the rubber seperated from the glue on the cone, no tears so I may play with it a little for the heck of it.......I was running about 750-800watts to it :clapping:

What all do you have done for PM? where do you go and what is the cost? oil/grease I'll just do myself but what else do you have done?

$17,500 seems fair compared to what else I've seen on the market........remember the engine has 40k on it and 130k on the chasis. Prices I've seen are $17,500 with 130k on the engine/chasis.

What are you running? Engine? Tranny? Uses etc..........please feel free to make my eyes bleed with details/knowledge on these trucks!!:drinkup:
  8. tthomass

from N. VA

here's the listing:

2002 FREIGHTLINER FL-70, 40k miles, 1 owner, 26,000 gvw, non cdl, 22' van lift gate, e-track transluscent roof, cat 3126, 5 spd, tires 80%, a/c, cc, exc maint,incl warranty, new pa insp $19,900

and here is another listing from the same guy:

2000 FREIGHTLINER FL-70, 2 one owner 33,000 gvw cab & chassis air brakes cat 3126 230hp 6 speed tires 80% on excellent maintenance low miles clean , $16,900
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You might check truck buyers guide. I cant think of the website for them but google it and you'll prolly find it.