Dethaching/Airating Important? profitable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by YoungGun, Mar 10, 2008.

1. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

Im just Turning 19 and have been cutting For 4 true years i had 30 accounts while attending highschool and playing 3 sports now im taking some college classes im excited to have near 50 lawns.
    I never have rented a airator or dethacher or really done either to my own lawn.

should i book all my accounts on the same day and rent a machien to do it?

is it really profitable?

Need some help from the Pros on this one... Thanks Guys love this site and all the great posts
  2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Yes aerating is important. It promotes better root growth, aleveates soil compaction. and helps with thatch. aerating is usually down in early spring or fall. If you do it in the spring aerate before putting premergence down. As far as dethatching this is less needed and I really cannot stand people pushing it when it is not needed. the aerator in most circumstances will take care of most thatch problems. If thatch is bad enough to need power raked rent a machine. Put your hard earned money to a good plugger aerator. I use a pull behind and it works very well but they make sel propelld walk behind units that are very good as well. as far as money goes the pull behind will be alot less expensive.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

we lined up alot of our accounts and rented a bluebird walk behind self propelled unit from home depot. the going rate around here is 50 per yard (i forgot the sq. ft max.) its good money, because 1.5 lawns usually takes care of the rental and the rest is pretty much profit (besides gas etc...) what i can tell you though, is that ill never use that machine again, was very unwieldy to use and the chain kept slipping off the drive sprocket. we are currently looking for a tow behind unit.
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Aeration and dethaching can make you some serious coin my friend. If you have 50 customers you need to be offering aeration to every single one of them. Print up a sheet that has all the benefits of core aeration. hand it out to your customers, sell,sell,sell. We make a kiling off aerations. Its all part of the complete lawn care package. Even if you have to rent one its worth it.
  5. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

50 customers times $45 for aeration -$2,250!!
    50 customers times $55 for power raking -$2,750!!!
  6. ha305

ha305 LawnSite Member

Charging just $45 for aeration sounds insane to me, sorry but that seems really low. To do 50 yards by yourself may take some time
  7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

How much people usually charge for dethatching, how much for aerating for a yard 2000sqft?

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

around here aerating is $50
  9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

that is very cheap for renting the equipment to do the job!!!! How about dethatching?
  10. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I dont know if youre in a higher end area but for aerating, seeding, and starter fert I get $300+ for lawn around the 8k size and takes about 1.5 - 2 hrs of my time. My price will be going up with the price of seed and fert going up. So after cost of seed and fert Im looking at atleast $200 per property minus fuel and rental.