dethacthing in fall

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Green Growers, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Green Growers

Green Growers LawnSite Member

Does anyone do any dethacthing in the fall or just in the spring?

2. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i do it both times of the year. depends on your area and grass. but i do it spring and fall. it also depends on the homeowner

3. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

We start cutting lower and lower as the year winds up, but we don't dethatch. Maybe I don't understand it properly, but if you're in an area that can/does freeze in the winter, wouldn't this put the lawn at risk or is it just for certain types of grass, not including St. Augustine?

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I only dethatch in the spring. Like Damian, as the season starts to end I start cutting lower. I might, end up putting the dethatcher back on the mower in the fall, just to help push some leaves, but that is it.

5. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

We just started doing it this week as well as aerating & seed. Lawns around are not great this year too much rain lead to alot of fungus.

6. Green Growers

I just did some research on the K state extension site, and they said the best way to speed up the break down of thatch is to aerate the lawn in a few directions.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about aerating in a few directions unless you are getting paid more. But the best way to eliminate thatch is to dethatch in the spring and then aerate in the fall.

8. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I think dethatching in the fall opens it up and it is suseptable to disease, correct? Do you not want to allow it to close up for the winter?

9. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I didn't think I'd ever find myself saying this, but I'm looking forward to seeing brownpatch over the next couple of weeks. We had gone so long without rain this year there were more yellow lawns than green...

10. Green Growers

We have been blessed with rain all summer. Now I need it dry so I can seed this week.