Dethatch Annually for Spring Clean Up?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Landscape89, May 22, 2008.

?

Spring Clean Up- Dethatch?

1. Dethatch Annually for every Spring Clean Up

41.5%
  2. Only Dethatch when Necessary

58.5%
  1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Spring Clean Ups have come and gone for me. I do Dethatching as part of every job I do for my Clean Ups. Just wanted to see who takes this same approach.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Only when it needs it..

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind your doing it for 2 reasons. One is for the lawn , the other is for your checkbook.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. Unless it's a newer subdivision that has been built in the last 15 years, I don't de-thatch. Most of the time there is enough of a worm population that helps eat and de-compose the existing thatch. Some subdivisions around here have such poor soil, that thatch is very common.

But, it is good money too.

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

It's part of my spring cleaning to but I call it power raking.

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I rarely have to dethatch anything but zoysiagrass - and not 100% every year, either.

7. Matlock Lawncare

Matlock Lawncare LawnSite Member

What is an average price that you charge for dethatching. Here in Mo. I charge a minimum of $125 for an average 10,ooo sq. ft. lot. That includes disposal too.

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it with each clean up. It helps kick up those leaves that are stuck down from having snow on top of them for five months.

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I only do it as needed.

10. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Most lawns (at least in my region with my type of turf) do not need dethatching. It is expensive for the homeowner and time consuming for the contractor. Annual aeration should be enough for most lawns. If you can't decide if a lawn has too much thatch, you are in no place to recommend dethatching. (this isn't directed at anyone in particular, just those that don't understand how much thatch is healthy.)