1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dethatch clean-up techniques

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by herberg, Apr 11, 2008.

1. herberg

herberg LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I've always hand raked and charged for time when getting rid of thatch.

This year i'm planning to rent one from my local rental center. One questions is in cleaning up the removed thatch.

I got rid of my tractor that had a bagger system.

What do you folks do without a collection system?

I've got a pretty decent Redmax blower - blow then tarp to the trailer?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Each area will give you a different answer.. so...here's mine.. I use the power rake, then blow all the thatch into one area and clean it up. This works for me because none of the lawns around here are 2+ acres like in other locations.
  3. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

what i do is:

Rake aroudn trees

Blow out rockbeds

dethatch 2 times

bag and mow

i used to use a "lawn sweeper" to pick up when i didnt have a bagger (first year with a bagger)
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Pick up the thatch with my MCGHS Walker, dump on the ground beside the truck. Then use a pitchfork and load it all into the truck.
  5. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

A lawn sweeper is the best way to go
  6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

1st year I power raked and then hand raked the thatch into pile all over the place then bagged it.

2nd year I power raked then vacuumed all the thatch. Dropped it off in one or two giant piles, raked the thatch into a empty plastic trash can, put a bag over the top of it all and turn it upside down dumping all the thatch into a bag.

This year I'm going to blow it into piles (haven't started yet, still have snow here). I tried blowing it last year but all I have is a Echo back pack a home depot special and it couldn't blow it into piles. But I'm going to try a Stihl br600.
  7. herberg

herberg LawnSite Member

thanks for the quick replies. i'm going out to follow up on phone calls tomorrow and 2 want dethatching. wanted to have an idea of what i was going to do.

lawn sweeper - as in the push behind (or tow) that flips it up into a fabric type bin, then dump onto the tarp?

I think i may break in the new Redmax and see how it flows, might have to windrow it then bag it with a 21".

Also depends on the level of thatch. - hopefully i'll be able to get to it after the 1-4" of snow that we are forecasted for finally stops.

thanks - and by all means keep the suggestions coming.

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

Thank god I'll be doing the same thing this year!!!:weightlifter:

Last year I used one of those 14inch blades you put on a push mower that has a spring tine on each end. Worked really well for $18.
  9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I just dethatch my lawn, My hand held blower don't do much, you think the bigger blower will make that big a difference?
  10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Forget about a hand held blower unless you can use it simultaneously with a back pack. I've actually read that using a back pack with a right trigger, while holding a hand held in the left hand, is effective for clean ups.

But as far as a bigger blower, I have a Echo PB 260 and it can't do the job but from what I've read the Br-600 Stihl is MUCH more powerful and can blow thatch. I can only learn from experience.. we'll see.