1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dethatch during summertime?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gscone, Jul 16, 2004.

1. gscone

gscone LawnSite Member
    from NY

Is it smart to dethatch during the summertime when the high temp's are in the upper 70's--- mid 80's? My backyard has alot of green, but at the same time, a few area's where thatch is present. I used a steel rake and alot of thatch came up.....so should I go ahead and de-thatch the complete lawn?

2. j.p.landscaping

j.p.landscaping LawnSite Member

Doing it now will be ok providing you keep the lawn well watered. Remember that the thatch acts like a protective layer kinda like mulch near trees or bushes. It will keep that area moist longer because it's blocking some of the heat and sunlight but too much thatch is no good. It can suffocate the lawn so to speak. I say go for it but keep the sprinklers working.. If possible do it when your temps will be in the 70's for a few days. Mid 80's might be a little too risky.