Dethatch my lawn with Mantis

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Apr 12, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I finally recieve my Mantis Honda, put it all together. Idle for a few minutes, rev it up and down with no load for a few minutes for break in. Then start the dethatching. The engine is so quiet it is great.

It jump a little. It get the job done...decisively!!! I have no way to compare with the bigger and more expensive Blue Bird, but I think I like the Mantis much better, smaller, more useful in other stuff.

The dethatcher tine look to be well build, should last for a while. I pull out so much thatch it filled up a whole 40 gallon can!!! My problem is the clean up. I ran the lawn mower, can't pickup all of them, rack, still can't get all, blower don't work very well, so now what, leave it??

Bottom line, the Mantis dethatcher work. I notice the engine does have to work. I think I made a wise decision to go with the 42:1 gear ratio Mantis rather than 35:1 Honda FG110. It need all the torque you can get from the engine.:waving:

Hey Exact Rototilling, How's your dethatching go?? I like my Mantis, I am keeping it!!!:waving:

2. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you are tilling a field or something... any grass left there??? :hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy:

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have grass, full too, just never dethatch. I use the special dethatching tine I bought from Mantis. All the description in my post is with the dethatching tine, I never even use the standard tine yet. The lawn looks very good now. I think I have to do one more time because I really have a lot, so much came out I can't even see where to dethatch more until I clean it all up. After clear up, I was too tired and lazy to do it again, I am going to wait 2 weeks first.:waving:

5. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Gotcha... well, that info. would have been useful from the getgo... Still, what a waste of time doing it with such a small machine... no thanks

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think your right. Its about 10" shorter than a power rake. There might be an advantage, if you don't want to invest in a power rake right away, or for smaller areas it might be OK.