Dethatch Or Aerate Or Both ???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BUCKEYE MOWING, May 8, 2007.

1. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several clients all asking the same questions ...I have always just done aeration's and dethatched if I could clearly tell the lawn needed it.Do I do one or the other or both ??? Its their money and I will do as the client wishes ..I just want to hear what you guys think . Thanks

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

Bump>>>>>>

3. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Buckeye,

You have a university with a great turf program that can provide you with the resources to back up your program. Don't let customers dictate agronomic practices sell them on what is effective.

Good luck!

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Dethatching usually destroys more than helps. A proper aeration will forch breakdown of thatch and promotes better lawn health. What do you think I prefer? (hint...I just sold my dethatcher!)

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

Thank you gentleman ! I got the answer I expected. Sometimes you just have to hear it from your buddies when all you hear daily is crying clients....LOL

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

This is true. make sure you do it every year:)

7. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

I would recommend both when you are going to reseed. Dethatching does beat the yard up, so when you do plan on doing that let the client know. I was suprised by the amount of yard waste.
    Many of my aeration clients are asking the same thing. I try to hold them off until fall. Most of the problem they are seeing is dead grass not thatch. Better cultural practices will help with the thatch. Aerate both spring and fall and they will have fewer problem with thatch.

Don't be afraid to offer dethatching, but wait until the fall and offer to reseed too.

Are you looking to sub out any of your aeration work?

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

Thanks Gators !! Sorry but I do my own aeration ...

9. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

We aerate dethatch then fertilize. We do enough of this in the spring to know it works in our area. As for destroying the lawn, it all depends on who is using the dethatcher. I do almost all the dethatching for our company and adjust our machine to the conditions of the lawn. Weather its really thick,thin,mossy or the amount of moisture in the grass etc.
    This year we are pushing more towards a full line grounds maintenace program verses individuall services. It seems to be working so far.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

We verticut, bag, aerate, overseed, then fertilize. Dethatching is only necessary if the thatch layer is excessive though. If there isn't a problem w/ thatch, but the customer would just like a thicker lawn, we aerate & then overseed only.