1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dethatch pricing per K

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Hey guys
    Not finding enough good threads on this one. Those of you that dethatch, in a nutshell, what price or range are you charging per K. Also are you flagging sprinkler head or is it not that necessary?
  2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I just look at the place, figure out how long its going to take, an give them a $50 an hour figure....Plus the cost of the dethatcher of course.........
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i say use hourly only as a last resort. i've come to find that hourly is good if you can't figure a price, it will protect you. but, it can burn you once you get more efficient. personally i charge by the 1000 sq ft section. i'm not sure, but i think it's $45 per k
  4. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

That $45 per 1K include cleanup and disposal? Depending on the yard, that can be a big job. (cleanup) Matt
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

cleanup yes. most of the time leave it in bags at thier house. i have hauled it though, dumping grass is free here (as long as you don't get caught)
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

here we double the price of the monthly service. $75 house for the month, $150 thatch and fertilize. there are variables though, some houses only "take care" of the front yard, etc.
  7. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

what if you have to rent the dethatcher, i realize it is not the customers fault i do not own one but what do you charge. i have two or three i have to do either this weekend or next, i will try to do them all in the same day.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

green, i used to rent one. it sucked. it may cost you $75 for the day. actually, what i used to do is pick up the machine, thatch all the lawns(don't clean up, just run the machine) return the machine as quick as possible to save money. sometimes it would only cost $50. then go back and clean up. get a thatcher. i bought a used one for $300, runs and works beautiful.

Has anyone used the pull behind thatcher??? I just bought one and man does it work well.

Hell, for 90 bucks you can get a 48'' thatcher and make some money, thing is people are too dang cheap to pay for such a good service!
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

pull behind? i use walk behinds, can i use such a unit on a walk behind? or wait, u think my wife could pull it ?