1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dethatch pricing rule of thumb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

When I inquired about pricing for aerating, the consensus was a 3X's reg. mowing price. That worked out great for me and thanks for the input. Now in regards to dethatching, what rule of thumb has worked best other than per sq. ft. pricing which I see alot of you use. If the yard is roughly a $35-40 mower would a multiplyer of 3-4 times be enough? Rental is $30 per day on a dethatcher and does the kind of grass have any baring on cost, bermuda on this one?
    Thanks for the help!

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

There was a thread on this last week. The thing with dethatching is there is a lot of cleanup time, something you don't have with aerating. It's definitely going to take you longer than aerating.

I have been discouraging dethatching in favor of aerating. If done often enough, aerating will help maintain a proper level of thatch, I believe. Plus it's quicker and less labor intensive than dethatching.
  3. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I typically charge 4x my mow price. so my $35 properties are roughly $130-140 depending on if I can dispose on their property or not. :)
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You had best rent a machine and do a test on someones lawn to get an idea of the labor involved. The thicker the thatch the more labor is required. I'd be looking at $1000.00 for a 10,000 sq.ft. lawn if it has a moderate bulid up of thatch.

Also, look into using a power brush such as a Sweepster. They do a good job with a lot less debris.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I dislike doing this work because of the cleanup time factor. Rental out here is $70 per day, and clients are only so willing to spend so much for this service. But contrary to what Mtdman suggested about aerating in favor of dethatching, I think itÂ’s one of those things that is necessary at certain accounts. Some types of grass naturally develop more thatch than others, and thatch buildup can also be attributed to frequent shallow watering practices, or high nitrogen fertilizers.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

$10-$12 per M, here.
  7. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

I hole heartedly agree, aerate when ever possible, de-thatch as a last resort. But, when the thatch is too thick de-thatching is the only way to save the lawn, then annual aeration will prevent the problem from returning. Turns into nice annual work.

The pricing I use is based on a medium to thick thatch problem ( as I said I would aerate a light to medium thatch problem )

5,000 sq ft - $150
    5,000 - 7,000 - $200
    7,000 - 10,000 - $230
  8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

1000.00 Thats just plain nuts. who in there right mind is going to pay 1 GRAND for 10,000 sq.ft.?
  9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of using a de-thatcher, why not use a verti-cutter? Verti-cutters are very similar, easier to operate, remove less material (less clean-up), open up the thatch layer to allow air and water to penetrate, speeding decomposition and don't leave the turf as torn up as a de-thatcher. Plus, if you want to do a little over-seeding at the same time, rent the model with a seed box on the front. You kill several birds with one stone.
  10. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

what about being a salesperson, they don't need to know how much, how about selling them on all your services, remember quality sells show examples of how there lawn can look if they sign up for yourservice. but only if you take advantage of my premium service 1 year for ?????, include fert,aerating,spring clean up, fall clean up, mulch,Thatch etc..
    it is to hard for me to give a $ example that varies pending