1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dethatcher Advice

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ACSMOD11, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ACSMOD11

ACSMOD11 LawnSite Member

Need some advice from the Pro's. I have a FT SD 54, which I love by the way, that takes care of ~ 5 acres of blue grass yard. I've owned this place for 10 years and have never dethatched it and it looks like it's due. Does Hustler make a dethatcher or recommend a good brand?

I have a DR Lawn Vac so picking it up isn't a problem, other than I have to use my John Deere to pull it since I can't seem to find a chute that will work on my deck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

There are some dethatchers out there that are powered and others that are mounted on the riding equipment. Some are tow behind some mount in the front of the machines. Let me take my Hustler hat off a bit and be 100% bias. I like JRCO units. Private company out of Minn. Known them for years and they make a nice product. As I said there are many good product and I welcome the field to join in with their suggestions. The non-powered units will take a couple of uses to do the complete job.

Brian O

3. ACSMOD11

ACSMOD11 LawnSite Member

Thanks Brian!

That's what I"m looking - suggestions.

Cheers!

4. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I second JRCO. I've been running a 60" on my SZs for the last eight years and they do a very good job. This set up works better than my competitions Walker set ups and cost less both to buy and repair and since it's on a Hustler SZ it's faster. I've also owned a Bluebird power rake and sold it after one year. Talk about work!:dizzy: