1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slabpile, Jun 4, 2001.

1. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

hey all
    i need to buy a dethatcher for my z master, any suggestions?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The tine dethatcher from JRco works pretty good for loosening up the thatch. I have a 5' for my Choppers and it works pretty good. ;)
  3. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

what are you picking the thatch up with after. with my walker i did not worry about it, just sucked it up!
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I close the OCDC and run the blades at the same time and just grind it up. I go over it at an opposite direction with the OCDC open and it spreads it all out evenly and it just disappears. The thatch decomposes and becomes dirt in no time once it has been chopped up. I have been doing this for a few years and I've never had one complaint from a customer. I aerate the lawns first and the tines seem to break up the cores some after going over the lawn twice with the dethatcher also.
  5. If you have "good" lawnmower there is no need to ever remove any yard waste at any time of the year.

Tine raking should be performed in conjunction with core aeration in the early spring even before the turf is activity growing.

By using a "good" side discharge machine with double blades (gator and hi lift) the fine pieces of dead grass (thatch) with filter down to contact the soil and decompose.

The early spring rains will drive the thatch down through the turf canopy and will be in contact with the soil. Core aeration helps bring on the microbial activity to aid the decomposition.