Dethatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RippinV, Mar 13, 2002.

1. RippinV

RippinV LawnSite Member

Anyone use the JRCO dethatching attatchment?? I am thinking of putting one on a 48" walk behind and was curious on its effectiveness. Also, what should I expect to pay for this unit.

Thanks!

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have the JRCO on a 48" Lesco.. Works pretty good, especailly when the ground is dry.. Seems to get stuck when its' wet.. Maybe I just need to adjust it a bit, but it seems to catch and cause the wheels of the mower to spin...., BUT when it's dry out I have excellent results... The JRCO for the walk behinds is like $400.00.... Not cheap... But alot easier than pushing a power rake or comb..... Plus with the w/b you can engage the blades and bag all the thatch in one shot... Saves alot of time

3. RippinV

RippinV LawnSite Member

Thanks Chris, i am ordering one today!!

4. Commander

Commander Banned

I can see these units as being useful for performing spring clean-ups. However if you are truly going to de-thatch a property this is most certainly not the tool you are going to want to use. For de-thatching you are going to want a power rake.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if using a dethatcher didnt do the proper job, one why is it called a dethatcher, and why is it such a common tool that everyone here has almost? must be doing somewhat of a good job. while on the topic how much do dethatchers cost? not the walkbehind mower ones but the others?

6. Scott

JRCO; spring tined de-thactcher, not for lawns with thatch problems.(not almost everyone maybe 100 have them)

Power rake; flail type reel, gas powered, best way for a true de-thatching if you have a thatch problem.

Power rakes run around $1000

Jrco runs around $400 to $700 for the 60"

7. American Lawn

American Lawn LawnSite Member

Do you have jrco web page?

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have the jrco de thatcher for my 48 inch scag and love it. it works really well. It gets up a ton of thatch. I usually do the area twice just to get a little more up. Im very satisfied with jrco. I even bought the leaf plow they make, and that saves a ton of time.

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

The walk behind mounted thatchers are great for spring cleanups. BUT if you have not ever used one , you should try it out, YOu would be surprised at how much thatch they really get up... I only use a power rake or comb if I am seeding as well... If you keep up with it , like yearly , then a serious thatch problem wount develope... or should not anyway...