Dethatchers for large lawns

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by peanut, Apr 20, 2008.

1. peanut

peanut LawnSite Member
    from 28697

What product would you recommend to dethatch a lawn that is about 15 acres? I really would like to have a dethatcher with a 3 point hitch for a large tractor.

2. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Do you just need to do a tine rake dethatching? Or do you really need to pull up a lot of material?

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I made a 6' wide spring tine dethatcher for my Steiner. I can travel at full speed and still do a good job. That said 15 acres is 15 acres, not sure I would do it. Collecting all that grass even with my Walker wouldn't be fun.
    Do a search for Steiner and find my thread I started. It'll be down a couple of pages I think. "If you don't have a Steiner you wouldn't understand "

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I've been tossing around the idea of a drag behind harrow rake. Kind of looks like an aggressive piece of chain link fence. Some guys have told me it would work good, others say don't bother. I'm interested to see how it works.

5. peanut

peanut LawnSite Member
    from 28697

Yes, a tine rake dethatch is all it needs. I just cannot find anything that is large enough to use behind a farm tractor.

6. jkitterman

jkitterman LawnSite Member

Would a hay rake work?

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

A picture of this property would really help...If this Is a nice lawn you don't want to use a set of chain harrows on It or a hay rake...but If Its a field type of lawn then maybe a rotary hay rake would get It fluffed up and put the debris In windrows.Chain harrows normally have 2 sides to them...One side maybe 15 degrees and the other 45...less aggressive...but to do a real nice job...a 72" with a good front tine rake...and a dump colection system on the mower.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Hay rake won't work, its made to gather up hay, not to scratch up ground. Best bet low budget is the fuerst flexible tine harrow. Best bet for big budget is either a Landpride overseeder, a Gandy overseeder or an older overseeder such as an Olathe overseeder.:waving:

9. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

10. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY