Dethatching,aerating,topdressing,overseeding - correct order?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sulston, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants his lawn detatched, aerated and overseeded. There are bald spots that need to be top-dressed and then spot seeded but he also wants the whole lawn overseeded. I know fall would probably be a better time for all this but he wants it this spring(soon). I plan on dethatching first, aerating second, then topdressing entire lawn very lightly but heavier in bald spots, and finally spreading the seed with a broadcast spreader. I normally just do a lot of cutting but I'm trying to get into more of this stuff so I'm just looking for some opinions/advice on my plan. Can I do this all in one day or should I leave time between steps and if so how much? Also, is it OK to spread a thin layer of soil over entire lawn after aerating but before overseeding, this will fill in holes made by aerator a bit but would also give a bit better seed to soil contact for germination. Anyones opinion is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

Don't forget about dragging your topdressing in. Whether of not you can do it in a day or not is going to depend on the size of the yard.

3. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

Are you talking about as a last step, after I overseed, dragging like a 48" landscape rake over the whole thing? I know I could physically do everything in a day I guess I was just concerned about it being too hard on the lawn to dethatch then aerate in the same day, especially since it's in the spring and the grass is just getting going. Also, should I throw a fertilizing in there somewhere or maybe like a week or so later? Thanks.

4. Dollar Spot

I'm talking about a drag, chainlink fence, coco mat, ect., to smooth out your topdressing....not a york rake. I would fertilize also to push the existing grass. I aerate and verticut the same day all the time but I do it in a different order than you plan to do it, but your order is okay.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I would aerate first then dethatch. it will break up the "goose turds"

6. Dollar Spot

As long as they dry out first.

7. BSDeality

if its that wet you shouldn't even be aerating.

8. Dollar Spot

No, if it's wet the verticut won't breakup the cores and it will turn them into a muddy mess.

9. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

I was only planning on dethatching first, then aerating, so that I could easily rake up and collect all the thatch that is brought up from the dethatching before I aerated. When you do it the other way around don't you end up picking up a lot of the "goose turds" and hauling them away with the thatch. Not that it would have any effect on the lawn but on a large lawn I would think it might add up to a lot of extra material you don't really need to be taking with you.

10. BSDeality

the potential is there for more debris to take away, however I've never run into a normal yard that generates bushels and bushels of thatch. I only run into that on renovations to fix contractors who put down too much straw and not enough seed.