Dethatching and aerating large yards

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jayhox, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

I have 5.75 acres, all of which I maintain. What is the best and fastest way to dethatch and aerate a yard this size?

I've found an aerator like this to pull behind my mower. Would this work well, or is there better?

And for the dethatcher, I've found this one. Both have 48" widths, I believe. Do they come larger? I have a 61" deck on my mower FWIW.

Thanks for your help!
  2. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Not sure on the dethatcher.

As for the aerator it will do a fine job. If your soil is hard and you find the machine bouncing place some weight on the top. I am not a huge fan of the spacing on those drum style aerators. I think the tiners are spaced too far apart. As a result, i would consider doing the lawn twice in different directions.

Also make sure you have a source for replacement tines on the macine before buying (assuming you have not already done so).
  3. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Thanks Golfguy.
  4. Heatman

Heatman LawnSite Member

I have 1 acre and have a detatcher just like that one. It works pretty good but you will have to stop alot to clean it out. It gets packed and you have to clean it out to keep it working properly.

I also have an aerator similar to the one shown but no quite as nice. Mine is an Agri-fab.I have decent soil and even with proper moisture and 3 or 4 concrete blocks on it you have to go very slow or it will try to ride on top of the ground. I do go 2 directions and it will take me a good couple hours to do my one acre.
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have a 3000sqft front yard and on the way fixing up the back which will give about 6000sqft. I am buying a Honda FG110 with slit aerate tine and dethatcher tine. I saw video on U tube of person using Mantis to dethatch, it looked easy enough and fast enough. My only question is whether I should go with the Mantis Honda because the gear ratio is 42:1 vs Honda 35:1. Mantis should be stronger but slower which is OK.