Dethatching and Aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, May 20, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Could someone please tell me the process of Aerating and Dethatching.Don't be afraid to go into detail on it.Also,how often should it be done and how can you tell?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont do any aerating, and frankly hardly anyone up here does it except for the golf courses, but every spring i dethatch all my customers lawns during the clean-up. basically dethatching is getting all the dead grass out of the lawn after the winter. some people do this in the fall as well. it stimulates growth and gets all the stuck acorns and twigs up as well. i use a JRCO de thatcher which is mounted on the front of my Scag walkbehind. it uses tines like a big rake to de thatch. hope this clears up your q's on dethatching.

3. you are better off aerating. you should do this at least once a year, in the fall. you should try to do it after it rains, so you get nice deep plugs. this is better than thatching. it helps with runoff, compaction, pesticide effectiveness, etc. you can do it in many ways. there are spike aerators which are not that good. and then there are the core aerators which are what most people use. with those you can pull em behind a tractor, walk behind one, or even push it with the ztr's