Dethatching and Slice Seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JML, Jul 2, 2000.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, I just practically stole a Billy Goat Dethatcher and I would like to offer slice seeding and thatching services to my customers. Whats the going rate to do both. Are there any specials techniques on how to do it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks<p>joe

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can give you a little &quot;ball park&quot; estimate numbers because pricing is different around the country. Here in WI.<br> I use a spring tine dethatcher on my Walker and Toro walk behind. I don't use a vertical cutter, so there is a &quot;tine&quot; difference - :) sorry - TIME difference between my jobs and yours. I don't charge by the hour but time has to be figured in. Anyway, back to what you want to know. I have a range of 5 to 15 dollars per 1000 sq ft of lawn. Variables are heavy thatch accumulation (more time on sute) hauling the thatch off site and wet lawns. Things to watch out for are sprinkler heads (good discussion on this going on now) and invisable dog fences that are usually more visable than not. <br>Dethatching is done here in the spring, starting in late March or early April and runs up to the cutting season. <br>You have to have a way of picking this thatch up and a 21&quot; mower with a bag will NOT work. Sorry, it will work but if you want to make money you will find another way. <br>I do not do slit seeding so I can't help you with pricing or method. You might want to try the search function at the top. Good Luck.

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Hi JML, <p>I have been thatching and slice seeding my regular customers for 4 years now. I use a sensation dethatcher and wind up blowing the thatch afterwards. I found that it produces a much cleaner look, even though the labor is more difficult than sucking up the debris. It doesn't take long to blow if it is dry. I have seen others that use the JrCo dethatching tines on the front of a Walker and suck it up, which looks good as well. I have 2 different methods of pricing. If it is worked into a spring cleanup, I will tack on an extra $50 or so to the cleanup for a small (75x100) property. If it is a fall renovation (starting first week in Sept) I will charge $125 -150 for the cut, thatch and cleanup for the same size area. Seeding and fertilizer are additional. I have not compared these prices with others, but I think I'm probably a little low on these services. I figure that that if the customers pass on this service, The lawn will suffer next year, which in turn could make me suffer next year. The money is made up for with seed and fertilizer. I am also from NJ--email me if you would like.<br> <br>JR

4. rross

rross LawnSite Member

WOW!

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dethatch, and powerseed, apply starter fert. $85 per 1000 sq. feet. seeding rate is approx 6 lbs per 1000. made a bundle this fall selling this