Dethatching cleanup

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by doubleedge, Mar 8, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

What is the fastest way for 3 people to clean up after dethatching a lawn? Most of the lawns will be small and we will not be able to use a pull behind vacuum or a riding mower. Do push vacuums work well for picking up grass?

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Noone has experience with dethatching? Kinda doubt that.

3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

NO!!!! learned that the hard way last year, it HAS to be self propelled. Pushing those things around a parking lot is one thing but on grass it's way, WAY too hard.

I have a self propelled vac and it works great. I just go on a route that brings me back to an area that I dump the grass out. I try to dump it all in one area, so I vac to the back yard go back and forth there for a bit then travel back to where I'm going to be bagging it. then to bag it the fastest way I found was to rake it into an empty plastic garbage can, once it's full, put a plastic bag over the entire can (buy big, heavy duty bags from a janitorial store) and tip it upside down. Make sure to have lots of 1 inch holes drilled through the garbage can to prevent suction.

Before I had a vac we would hand rake it into smallish piles all over the yard and bag it, then carry the bags to where ever we leave it.

4. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

If the lawns are small, rake the grass onto a tarp and haul onto the truck or trailer, if you have a place to dump.

5. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

What about the bagging attachments on machines like the Classen PR-22? (PR-22 may be incorrect, but I think this was the model number....)

Leroy

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the first tools invented was the rake, for gathering, so just spend the 5 minutes with three guys and rake it, haul it , dump it, presto send bill move on. A blower works great to if wanna make a clean big pile, than you will still have to rake it up and haul it. Ive done no less than 2500 aerations and or powerakes/dethaching. It never gets easy.