dethatching in Colorado

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eclipselawn, Jun 7, 2004.

1. eclipselawn

eclipselawn LawnSite Member

Just a curiosity question. Does anyone in Colorado dethatch. Im im Fort Collins and have not seen anyone doing it. Why? Is there a reason? I have some lawns that I feel need this service but for fear of hurting the lawns here i have not done this. Any advice would help. I have also heard that dethatching is to damaging to the root system but that wasnt a comment about just Colorado just dethatching in general.

2. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't dethatch lawns at all. I aerate only and using organic fertilizer's.

3. LupineLandscaping

LupineLandscaping LawnSite Member

In Durango, I only aerate and fert w/ organics. No dethatching or power-raking is necessary for many of my customers. Although, I have had some requests for it, I generally talk them out of it.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Dethatching can be benifical, depending on if you actually need it, what time of year, what type of grass and what other cultural practices you are implimating in conjunction with dethatching.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in in like greenwood village and people always dethatch but MOST don't need it. I I do the same as as lupine and I aerate and fertilize. Aeration removes some thatch.

6. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

dethatch = $$$$$ overhere or so i have been told, imo it's just another string to your bow another service that customers want so why not provide it

7. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

dethatching can be carried out from late spring untill late summer and it is very benifitial to a lawn