Dethatching Prices

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by pjnlandscape, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 4SeasonsOutdoor

4SeasonsOutdoor LawnSite Member
    from MN

when you guys talk about overseeding do you use a special machine or just spread the seed on top with a fert spreader?

2. travski

travski LawnSite Member

I agree with Whipples5.7. I charge roughly 3X what I charge to mow. (this includes power raking and removal of debris)

Most customers agree to the price and are happy to pay for it, rather than do it themselves. 800 dollars come on!! that would get you laughed out of town!!

3. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I imagine it depends on your location. Around here 3x the price of mowing would cover the dump fees but not much else. We like to get 3x mowing for aeration only.

4. travski

travski LawnSite Member

OK I can see your point. but honostly how much are your dump fees in washington state? (by the way not argueing just curious... our dump fee is $5 for truck and trailer full.)

5. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing here on dump fees. Get close with someone who has a chunk of land where you can dump. Either pay them cash or what I do is trade work for dumping. It pans out to be about 10X cheaper than going to the dump.

6. dave50kate

dave50kate LawnSite Member

Its hard to figure how much to price for thatching mainly because the debris procuction is so variable. Most of our lawns are 2500 sf. yeilding between 1 and 4 yards of debris. My base price is $70 to thatch, plus labor to pick up the debris, plus dumping at $4.00 per 32 gal can put into my truck.
    I suggest adding in aeration, fertilizing and over-seeding as up-sells.