1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dethatching pricing

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ToddS, Feb 20, 2008.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

In general, what do you charge for dethatching per sq/ft? Been getting alot of calls for this service lately with the drought and thinking of adding this to my list of services. Thanks

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm kind of stumped on this too. I have just picked up a couple of customers with lawns that are 50 to 60% Zoysia. For cool season grasses, I am not a believer in dethatching, I think aerating is enough, but for zoysia, I have to do it. I even started a thread on that... and mispelled zoysia in the topic...LOL...

The bummer is with so few zoysia lawns, I can't justify buying a machine, I have to rent one. That makes my pricing pretty high on those two or three lawns in order to cover the rental fee. So, I am intersted in responses here too. Anyone?
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

i sorting wondering the same thing... i have a customer that has an acre that wants his lawn dethatched. I was told by someone on lawnsite to not charge under $600. But i was thinking $400. I can rent a dethatcher for $10 an hour. What do you guys think? As far as picking up all the thatch can you suck it up with a bagger system pretty easily?
  4. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 60 per hour for my work. as far as not dethatching cool season grasses it just depends if they have a thatch problem and yes tall fescue and kb do get thatch problems. I useually will only dethatch every 3 to 4 years now I do suggest that aeration be done twice a year.
  5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I think aeration on cool season grasses can replace dethatching entirely, but Zyosia has to be dethatched evey spring, doesn't it? As an aside, as a newbie to zoysia, does it benefit form aeration too? Even it it's dethatched every spring? Is a spring dethatching on zoysia enough to forgo aeration?
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you can, I would skip the dethatching and do core aeration. Remember, when you are aerating, you are also dethatching, with the added benefit of soil compaction alleviation and turf root zone relief. Go aeration instead if it is feasible for your turf type.

CBRANDT1 LawnSite Member

how about 45 dollars per 1000 sq ft
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My recomendation for you guys that have never dethatched a lawn before that are asking for prices. Find a friend or family member that has a lawn with a thatch problem and offer to do the service to educate your self on the service. Most likely you will under price the job by a mile. It won't hurt so bad as it being family or friend. No two lawns are the same when it comes to thatch. I take a very close look at how bad the thatch problem looks and then estimate a time factor for the area and offer a price range, say between 300.00 + 500.00. I got burned bad on a job that I thought would take 3 hours and ended up taking 8 hours. Thatch can be very deciving and its amazing how much waste material you will remove.
  9. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I got burned big time dethatching last week myself. I charged $165 to scalp and dethatch. Ended up taking close to 10 hours. Luckily they signed up for a 12 month service plan after we finished.
  10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I use JRCO rakes on the machines and charge for a double cut. I do all regular maintenance accounts in the Spring as an automatic service. I will do others as new accounts come in and or regulars that need dethatching again during the season.