1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

dethatching question on the ZTR mounted models

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I’m considering getting a dethatcher that you can mount on the front of a ZTR and the sales guy sales it works very well and for $500 it is a nice price compared to a real dethatcher my question is since iv only used the powered kind what can I expect for results? I use a power broom some times on the lawns and it does a nice job but I know it is not as through as real dethatching that I have done in the past and it tends to kick the hell out of you so the ZTR mount looks good from that stand point of I really don’t want to fight with the broom for 200 plus clean ups this spring.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I really like mine, jrco 48" model i believe. takes a few trys to get the height set correctly so the tines "kick" and not just drag on the ground. I really think it works well, i try to go up one dorection, turn around and come back down the same trak i just made. basically twice over in opposing directions. Most good thick lawns I can get a FULL dump bed load on one lawn! I know walkbehind powerrakes with a flail head is more through tho.

Another good factor is that there's no walking! but you have to dump the catcher like every minute or two, and that's a 8 bushell catcher on a rider. hate to think about a w/b with a smaller one!

3. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I used a JRCO unit last year on my w/b and thought it did well. This year I'm putting it on the Lazer w/ the Ultra vac. Think it'll make cleanups much easier.

4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 52 lazer z hp with ultra-vac and a jrco dethatcher and it works awesome! never had a problem until you start pulling out the wrong pins and cant remember where they go! LOL

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

same model here too. IMO these units do the equivalent of a light raking. I do not chage my customers a detatching price when using these. When we dethatch we use a wb dethatcher and suck up the thatch with the ultr vac or blow it.

6. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

Where can those dethachers be purchased . It sounds like a nice set up .

7. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There's a guy selling them on eBay at a really good price! The mounting bar is included in his price!