dethatching question please help!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grasscutter845, Apr 14, 2008.

1. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

I just got back from thatching a lawn and have a silly question what is the lawn supposed to look like when ur done thatching it? When i got there the grass was nice and green and needed to be cut so i cut and bagged it then i dethatched and when i was done the lawn was brown, it looked like i didnt get any dead grass up. Is this the way it should look? I went over the lawn 3 times with the thatcher and bagger. I think becuase its still early alot of the brown isnt dead its just not green yet? Its my first time dethaching a lawn so im not sure.

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What did you use? Power rake? Flail blades?

3. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

I used the jrco dethatcher on the front on my bobcat wb

4. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

The JRCO dethatcher does a really good job getting up ground in leaves, and will loosen the soil to an extent. But for a really thatched lawn.... go with a dethatching machine. You can rent one for pretty cheap, but be ready for the torrents of clippings that it will unleash. Don't ever bid short on a thatching job... they take FOREVER!! if they are done right.

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If you do a good job of pulling out the thatch the lawn will look terrible when you are done. Best if you aerate before you dethatch, run the dethatching unit over the lawn the mow at a lower setting by at least 1 inch and bag everything. Then throw out some fert and water. The damaged plants will react quickly in a few days. to the food, water and damage with some nice quick green. But Dethatching is only a last resort as it does too much damage to the lawn
    Turfcobob

6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

If the grass was nice and green, the lawn didn't need thatching.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Last Saturday I saw the competition out there hand raking mostly ground up green globs of grass. I wish I had taken a picture. He was using Bluebird with flail blades.

Unless you have really good reason to tear into the turf I really think one is better off with the spring tines instead of the flail ground beaters. It's basically cosmetic IMO but hey if the customer wants it and is willing to pay for it. I've learned to not try to upsell aeration when they really want fluff power raking.

:rolleyes:

spring-tine.jpg