Dethatching Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnMowerKing10, Sep 27, 2013.

1. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone!

I am planning on aerating and overseeding a Tall Fescue lawn and I was wondering if I should still dethatch before aerating / seeding? I read somewhere that aeration can help reduce thatch build up? is this true?

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't dethatch it. If it were warm season grass then I would.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any personal experience with a tall fescue lawn, but considering its non-ability to spread to fill in bare spots...I would say not.

HOWEVER, dethatching will open up the lawn and allow a greater number of the new seed to take hold...enhancing the all important seed-to-soil contact. If you sow plenty of seed, 8 pounds per 1000 sqft or more, and if it is irrigated, and if the new seed is superior in quality and disease resistance, and if you start at the best time of the year for your area...then go for it. My opinion.

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, aerating can help reduce thatch build up. Agree with Riggle on the rest of it. One way or another you need to get that seed to soil contact for good germination. Aerating alone likely will not get enough tall fescue up to increase the lawn's overall density - so I recommend the dethatching in your case. Just make sure you check off the things on Riggle's list.

5. LawnMowerKing10

The lawn is irrigated and I'd be patching all bare spots with seed and compost. What would be a good depth to set the dethatcher to?

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you de-thatching the entire lawn when you're going to 'patch the bare spots with seed and compost'???
    Having cover over the roots of grass is a good thing...

7. LawnMowerKing10

I'd be only dethatching the front lawn.