Dethatching Questions (new to biz)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi all,

I am new to the biz just started in Apr. Doing fairly well about 60 accounts.
    I have a couple of quick questions regarding dethatching I am hoping someone can help me with. I am charging $30 per 1k sqft is this a good price (south jersey area)? In addition I am noticing that I have a lot of thatch to dispose of ex. 10k - 15ksqft 2- 3 dump loads. Do you charge extra for disposal? If so, around how much? Thank you in advance for any comments.

Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You have to charge extra for disposal, dump fee plus hourly rate for that, IMO.

3. scaper27

scaper27 LawnSite Member

$35 per 1K sq ft is good plus disposal. Charge by the yard for dumping.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

thanks for the responses. this advice is helpful.

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think it would have to be a real bad thatched yard to dethatch. Also remember the grass will be cut real low (i.e. 1.5" - 2") before dethatching. They won't need their yard mowed for maybe 3 - 4 weeks after dethatching depending on time of year you do it so you will be loosing out on some weekly mowings.

I tell customers to core aerate and possible reseed if bare spots or thin grass spots. Aerating will break up the thatch. You can be mowing the following week and keep on making money. Not true with detatching.

How long did it take to get 60 accounts?

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info. That sounds good. In addition it would take less time to do it that way. Time = money.

As far as the accounts go it took me a few months. Started company in April didn 't start advertising until May had 60+ by August. I advertised in a couple of our local papers, had my wife and nephew help with flyers, and yard signs. Best of all is that I focused on doing good work, so I received quite a few referrals.

Thanks...

7. maui8

maui8 LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hey Rob wherabouts are you in gloucester county? i live near turnersville/sicklerville and plan to start up in spring. do you have a good dealer you do business with? i am putting together a equipment list..

hows business?

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

Hi maui8,

I am in the same area. Business is doing well. As far as equipment goes it really depends on what your looking for. I like Exmark and I deal with Laurel mower for that. Also I have a cub cadet zwing which I went through Peach Country in Glassboro. When it comes to service related stuff I like dealing with Peach Country. Also, Lesco is right in Township as well for your ferts etc.