1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

dethatching sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by greenback, Apr 5, 2005.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

has anyone dethatched a sod lawn before, he does not want to seed, just dethatch and fertilize. is sod any diff. than dethatching regular lawns. thanks.

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Greenback,

It is the same thing. Just make sure that the lawn has been there for a while.
    A newly sodded lawn should not be dethatched because you will damage the turf. The sod needs time for root development before you put it under a lot of stress. If the thatch build-up is not that severe try selling him on aeration instead.

Jason

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Just another quick question on this. I have done alot of dethatching lately but have never dethatched a sodded yard. 1st question is why have all of the dethatching been on a seeded lawn? meaning are sodded lawns less prone to having thatch build up?
    2nd question is does it tear up the plastic grids that the sod has?

4. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

i know the sod has been there for a while so thats no problem. i will see how bad the thatch is to determine dethatching or aeration. the lawn is about 12,000 sq. ft so i would rather aerate. do sod lawns need seeding after dethatching because he did not want it, just fertilizer.

5. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Reseeding can't hurt. But be careful to put down the right kind of seed if you do. If it is bluegrass sod don't put down rye grass seed.
    also watch out for sprinkler heads if it is irrigated, and make sure that no Pre-M goes down with the seed.