dethatching vs. aerating & overseeding??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bottlefed89, Aug 26, 2004.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Alright, I asked this question in an existing post and didn't get much attention, so I decided to start a new post. I've had several requests to aerate, verticut, and overseed some lawns. I've also had some dethatching requests. My question is that it would seem wise to dethatch before overseeding, but I think it's too hot here. If I don't will the overseeded grass stand a decent chance?? If I wait until later in the year to dethatch, when should I do it, and will it hurt the new grass??
    thanks

2. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

dethatching is done in the spring........Aerating can be done in both spring and fall but it is more beneficial in the fall. Overseeding is done in the early fall. I usually start around the 1st week of september up until the 1st week or october. Anything after that you start dealing with possible snow and real cold temps.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I don't know much about overseeding, so please forgive any stupid ?'s.

As far as overseeding goes, are you guys applying anything for moisture retention? Straw, penn mulch, etc.?

Is slit or verti-cutting required, or can the overseeding be done in conjunction with aeration?

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

overseeding after areating is the way to go. Even better if you have access to a slice seeder. I usually aerate, slice seed, topdress and then drag around a screen to break up the plugs. Looks crappy at first but wait till spring......best looking yards around

5. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

I aerate, overseed, then dethatch, in that order.

I always thought I would lose at lot of seed in the thatch. Especially when I sucked up the thatch with a bagging mower.

I was told that dethatching would "shake" the seed down into the ground. Also the dethatcher will break up the plugs left over from the aerator.

I have aerated and then seeded only, but didn't get a good result.

I always do this in late September, to allow a few good weeks for the new grass to take off.

All of my advise goes from a golf course super. He has a degree.
    He seemed to know what he was talking about.....I had to cut the thickest grass in Oct.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

rmartin:
    I'll actually be "aera-vating" so I won't have plugs to break up. I guess the real point of my question is:

Is the slice seeder step NECCESARY?

Thanks.

oh yeah, moisture retention?

7. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

slice seeding is the best way to go. You can just spread the seed with a spreader too. It;s up to you. I prefer the slicer.......and no i do not use any moisture retention. really no need to if you have a good yard to begin with

8. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

So then don't dethatch until next year??
    Oh yeah, what would you all charge??
    Package deal; aerate, veticut, overseed on say 20,000sq. ft.
    fert anything special with it??

9. GreenMonster

from NH

thanks for education, rmartin :D

10. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i charge .07 cents per square foot for slice seeding and between 100-200 for areating....

Package deal; aerate, overseed on say 20,000sq. ft. $1500.00

fertilizer is extra
    topdressing is extra